Dr. Pravin Gore (MBBS, DNB in Gen. Surgery, FAIS, FACRSI) is an exclusive Colorectal Surgeon & Proctologist, the first in west zone of India with an experience of 15 years. Presently, the medical professional is practicing at Apollo Spectra. He is a super-specialist Proctologist-colorectal surgeon and practitioner. At Apollo Spectra, Dr. Gore assures the utilization of globally accepted scientific outcomes. Here, he has given us an insight into piles and its symptoms and treatments.
What is Piles?
The human body contains normal blood vessels that supply blood to the anus. Piles are known when these blood vessels start to lose their support, swell up and slide out of the anus. This is also known as Haemorrhoids or Bawaseer.
The symptoms of Piles depend on the stage of the injury and swelling of the blood vessels of the anus. The patient can experience the following symptoms:
- Bleeding while passing stools in drops or spurts.
- Bleeding or swelling of the anus that pops out while passing stools, which may or may not go back inside even by trying to push it back in.
- Constipation or dry hard stools that need to be expelled out of the anus by force or strain during defecation.
- Itching due to skin irritation caused by bleeding beneath the skin.
- Giddiness and shortness of the breath along with temporary blackened sight that is caused by anaemia due to excessive loss of blood.
A bulge around the anus, along with skin components and inner mucosa popping out is the easiest way to diagnose piles and be able to differentiate it from fissures (cracks in the skin), or fistula-in-ano (swelling with pus discharge). A blood test is essential to know the haemoglobin levels in a body. The final diagnosis is made by a Proctologist-Colorectal Surgeon.
Let us discuss the W.A.S.H regimen and how to use it as a home remedy for Piles:
- W – Warm sitz bath. Here the patient needs to sit in a tub of warm water for 10 minutes after every motion.
- A – Analgesics and painkillers. Use the ones that contain muscle relaxants.
- S – Stool softeners and laxatives.
- H – Haemorrhoidal creams to soothe the injured inner wall of the anus due to the passage of hard stools.
As per the doctors, a rich HiFi / HiFlu diet is advised. Let’s understand these terms:
HiFi – High Fiber, which requires the patient to take a diet rich in green leafy vegetables and salads. Also, fruits and other edibles that contain an adequate amount of fibre supplements, such as cornflakes, oatmeal, barn, ragi and whole grain.
HiFlu – High Fluid intake, which suggests the consumption of approximately 3 to 4 litres of fluids in any form, such as plain water, soups, juices, buttermilk, sherbets, flavoured drinks(non-alcoholic) and kanji.
When should you consult a specialist?
Patients suffering from piles usually feel a difference with dietary and lifestyle changes. They also feel better with the adaptation of the W.A.S.H regimen and other symptomatic medications. If the problem still persists, a Super-Specialist Proctologist – Colorectal Surgeon must be consulted for further definitive treatment.
There a few red flag signs that may help you assess when you need to visit a specialist:
- Spurting bleeding while passing stools.
- Painful motions.
- Passing hard and dry motions more than thrice a week.
- A swelling at the anus that cannot be pushed inside.
An indication that may prove to be fatal if not addressed at the right time is the passing of blood and sticky mucous in stools, which may be a sign of cancer of the rectum and may be confused with piles.
These are some of the major frequently asked questions by patients about Piles. This information will help you know and deal with Piles better.
When a patient feels the need to refer to a specialist, it is important that they are provided with a consultation by a Super-Specialist Proctologist – Colorectal Surgeon in order to avoid future complications. At Apollo Spectra Hospitals, world class infrastructure provides optimum care and pain relief from Piles. Our expert colorectal specialists are equipped with the advanced skills to treat pain. Avail state-of-the-art treatment with near-zero infections here: www.apollospectra.com
Dr. Pravin Gore is a dedicated super-specialist Proctologist-colorectal surgeon and practices at Apollo Spectra. He has done in depth study and practiced in Proctology and Colorectal surgery. He understands each individual patient and tailors the best scientifically proven international state-of-the-art treatment to them.
#The suggestions given in the article are not a medical treatment. Please consult a Colorectal Specialist for correct diagnosis & treatment.