Know the Science behind Hair Transplant
Hair Transplant procedure has emerged as a painless surgical procedure for treating the problem of hair loss or balding. Each day we find so many advertisements of hair clinics which offer hair transplant treatments. However, before getting the procedure done, it is better to know more about it.
How is Hair Transplant done?
In this procedure, hair follicles (roots) are picked up from any part of the body like the back of head, legs or hands. These hair follicles are planted on the hairless area such as the scalp, to promote hair growth. So this procedure is called Follicular Hair Transplant. There are two ways of doing the procedure,
1. Strip Harvesting: Strips of hairy skin are planted on the hairless areas.
2. Follicular Unit Extraction (FEU): Small units of hair with roots are manually extracted from a hairy part of the body and planted on the hairless area.
Following steps are carried out to do the procedure:
1. Hair Follicles (roots) are collected from the donor site and placed at the hairless area.
2. In the case of FUE, under local anesthesia, the donor area is pricked, and units containing 2-3 hair follicles are planted in each of the minute digs.
When hair transplant is done by Strip Harvesting method, small strips of skin tissue are collected from the donor area. These are further broken into smaller units for the transplant.
3. The whole procedure is carried out with the help of highly equipped microscopes to avoid any harm to the hair follicles and maintain precision.
Facts about Hair Transplant:
1. Hair growth after the transplant varies from person to person and is dependent upon the natural tendency of hair growth.
2. After the transplant, the transplanted hair shed in few weeks and new hair grow from the transplanted hair follicles.
3. Complete baldness is not treatable through Hair Transplantation.
4. This surgery is done as a day care procedure. No hospital stay is required.
5. After the surgery, the patient could experience some swelling and pain, which would last for 2-3 days.
6. The patient is advised to avoid lifting heavy weights or any strenuous activity post operation for about three weeks.
7. Post hair transplant, the patient is advised not to shampoo or wet the hair for at least 3 days. This helps in keeping away from chemical effects on the operated area.
Strip Harvesting Vs FUE
Strip Harvesting is preferred more for its cost and time effectiveness for the patient as well as doctors. However, it leaves a light scar at the donor area.
The FUE method requires more than one sitting with the doctor for the procedure. It is done manually and is comparatively expensive. The results, however, are natural and leave no scars.