To enjoy a comfortable life post-bariatric surgery, one should know the possible side effects of bariatric surgery. It is the weight-loss surgery operated on people whose efforts at crash diet and rigorous exercises are not successful. The digestive system is altered in such a way that there is less absorption of food. The surgery is performed on people who suffer from extreme obesity. It is done when the patient is already suffering from ailments such as cardio problems, high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes. In such conditions being overweight can prove even more fatal and thus a bariatric surgery can alleviate their health situation. However one must move ahead with a complete knowledge of the side effects of bariatric surgery.
People whose body mass index (BMI) is in the range of 35-40 can go for this surgery. However, there are a lot of other physiological criteria that should be fulfilled before the doctor can operate on you. Post-bariatric surgery, one must prepare ahead for a lifetime of health consciousness. Depending upon the patient’s condition, there are four types of bariatric surgery-
- Roux-en-Y gastric bypass.
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.
- Sleeve gastrectomy.
- Duodenal switch with biliopancreatic diversion.
Usually, the laparoscopy surgery is preferred over open-cut surgery as the former involves lesser incisions and fewer bariatric surgery side effects.
BARIATRIC SURGERY SIDE EFFECTS:
- Gallstones- Post-bariatric surgery, about 50% of the patients develop gallbladder stones that are accompanied by intense abdominal pain, nausea and jaundice. This occurs owing to the rapid weight loss after surgery.
- Stoma blockage- This complication can happen when some food particle gets stuck in the area between the opening of the stomach pouch (stoma) and small intestine. Food must be chewed properly and consumed in small portions to avoid this situation.
- Wrinkling of skin: Post-bariatric surgery, there is rapid weight loss causing the skin to become loose and folded around the stomach, neck and arms. This can be countered by a cosmetic surgery.
- Mental derangement: Life after surgery changes in various ways and one may need some time to adjust to this new lifestyle. The extreme changes in the body along with a restricted diet may cause anxiety, depression and restlessness.
- Slippage of Gastric bands: Often the gastric band slips, making the stomach pouch larger than required. This is another terrible side effect of bariatric surgery.
- Aversion towards food: Even after surgery patients need to abide by a particular diet to avoid further weight-related issues. Typically the patients may develop an aversion towards food giving rise to nausea and vomiting.
POST BARIATRIC SURGERY CARE:
The follow-up care after any major surgery is of vital importance. Often the side effects of the surgery can lead to complications. Post-bariatric surgery the person must abide by the diet guidelines to sustain their BMI at a healthy level. It is important to stay determined about following the doctor’s instructions and not reverting to your old eating habits.
- Get hold of the medications prescribed after your surgery. Stay in touch with the doctor and contact immediately in case of any uneasiness.
- Certain multivitamin and calcium tablets are recommended to assist the body during weight loss post bariatric surgery.
- For females who have undergone bariatric surgery, they must not conceive in the following two years after their surgery. This can hamper the health of both the mother and the baby.
- Embrace the new life that has come with this surgery and follow the routine exercises to live a normal, happy life.
To know more about the surgery side effects, contact the doctors of Apollo Spectra Hospitals and get the best of remedies for any ailment. Book an appointment today.