The medical term for ear infection is known as otitis media and it is a condition which causes the ears to inflame and leaves the patient with a stinging sensation. The inflammation arises due to a bacterial infection that happens when fluids build up behind the eardrum. Ear infection in kids is more common as compared to adults. Even surveys indicate that ear infection treatment is a major reason for most parent’s visit to the paediatrician. It is usually followed by common cold or flu. The middle ear is connected to the upper respiratory tract via a tiny channel known as the Eustachian tube. Germs growing in the nasal cavities can climb up the Eustachian tube. This can prevent the drainage of fluids which gives rise to an ear infection in kids.
SYMPTOMS OF AN EAR INFECTION IN KIDS
The following are some of the common actions that can be noticed in the children suffering from an ear infection– tugging at their ear, sleeplessness, fever, irritability, crying while lying down, fluid draining from the ears and being less responsive.
The possibility of ear infection in kids is higher during the winters as it is the season of common cold and flu. While the cause of infection cannot always be eliminated. However by maintaining a strict standard of hygiene around the kids and following certain preventive measures; the chances of ear infection can be reduced.
- Children under the age of three are more susceptible to an ear infection. Ear infections occur when the surroundings contain more germs. So parents should keep an eye on the kind of stuff children play with and put into their mouth.
- Never let your baby suck on a pacifier or milk or water bottle while they are lying down. There are chances of the liquid trickling down into their ears and thus increasing the risk of infection.
- Ensure that the babysitter or day-care givers wash their hands regularly and maintain a strict hygiene while handling your child. It is also better to opt for smaller day-care centres. One minimizes the risks of ear infection in kids by minimizing the group of children the baby interacts with.
- Breastfeeding for at least 12 months ensures a higher immunity for the children. Breast milk contains many essential vitamins. It gives the baby a sound immune system to fight against various germs and bacteria.
- It is crucial to limit the use of pacifiers for the babies as they increase the chance of ear infection in kids.
- Cigarette smoke tends to develop ear infections more easily. Even the ear infection treatment will take more time and present more complications.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), USA; children should be vaccinated from the age of 2 months. It is extremely important to give your child the vaccination shots frequently that defend them against many ailments. Consult your paediatrician and get the pneumococcal vaccine for ear infection treatments.
TREATMENT AND RECOVERY
Most ear infection treatments can be done at home with pain-relieving eardrops and by placing a warm cloth against the ear. If the child is younger than 6 months and the pain persists longer, then one must consult their doctor immediately. In any case, before giving any antibiotic or other relieving medication, parents must check in with the doctor as the case of ear infection treatment differs from child to child.
In case of further query, seek expert medical advice from the doctors of Apollo Spectra Hospitals and get the best of remedies for any ailment. Book an appointment today.