Erectile Dysfunction is also known as impotence. It is basically the failure to keep an erection firm to have sexual intercourse. According to a study, it is one of the most common sexual problems faced by men. Statistically, it has been noted that approximately 30 million men worldwide suffer from Erectile Dysfunction. Although it is not rare for a man to have some problems with erections sometimes, it becomes worrisome when this happens frequently. This happens due to various reasons such as stress, anxiety, emotional problems etc. Erectile Dysfunction can also be a sign of some other health problem which might need immediate treatment. Other male sexual problems include delayed ejaculation, premature ejaculation or absent ejaculation.
How do erections work?
Erections happen when the blood is rushed to the penis through the nerves present in the penis. During an erection, the tissues present in the penis relax which traps the blood there. The increased blood pressure in the penis results in an erection. After a man ejaculates, nerve signals are sent so that the muscles and tissues in the penis are contracted which allows blood to flow back into the body. This makes the erection come down.
Why does Erectile Dysfunction happen?
Erectile Dysfunction most often happens when the blood flow to the penis is blocked or limited due to various reasons. Stress and emotional reasons can also be a cause of Erectile Dysfunction but these are mostly temporary. Although Erectile Dysfunction can be a problem in itself, it can also indicate a bigger problem such as high blood pressure, diabetes or even heart disease. The best way to deal with Erectile Dysfunction is to find the cause of the problem.
What are the symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction?
When a man has some problems in getting their penis erect sometimes, but if this happens frequently, then it is time for a visit to a doctor. It can be an indicator of some kind of vascular problem. These are the main symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction:
- If you are having a problem getting an erection.
- If you are having a problem in maintaining the erection after getting it.
- If you have reduced interest in any kind of sexual activities.
- If you are having a problem in ejaculating even after multiple tries.
What are the causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
Although Erectile Dysfunction is something that any man can suffer from, there are some things which make the risk higher:
- If a man is over 60, the chances of Erectile Dysfunction increase substantially.
- If a man has problems such as diabetes or high/low blood pressure.
- If a man suffers from some kind of cardiovascular disease.
- If a man has high cholesterol.
- If a man smokes, does drugs or drinks alcohol in excess.
- If a man is obese and doesn’t exercise.
- If a man doesn’t maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some physical causes of Erectile Dysfunction:
- Erectile Dysfunction can happen if there is not enough blood flow into the penis. This can be caused by various health issues such as heart disease, high blood sugar (diabetes), high blood pressure or high cholesterol.
- The penis is unable to hold the blood. This can happen to a man of any age if the muscles and tissues are weak.
- Nerves are unable to send the signals from the brain. This can happen due to some injury or surgery in the pelvic area which has harmed the nerves in that region.
- Cancer treatment near the pelvic region can also be a cause of Erectile Dysfunction. Radiation therapy can have some effect on the nerves of the region.