Total Elbow Replacement Surgery in Nehru Enclave, Delhi
Total elbow replacement is a surgical procedure that your doctor may recommend if you have advanced rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, or an unmendable fracture(s). It is also known as total elbow arthroplasty. It can be a complicated surgery because your elbow comprises many movable parts, set with great accuracy to manage your forearm's movement.
However, if you go to the best orthopedic surgeon in Nehru Enclave, New Delhi, you can expect positive results and relief from pain and discomfort.
More About Total Elbow Replacement Surgery
Your elbow joint is a hinge joint that comprises three bones:
- The bone of the upper arm (Humerus)
- The bone of your forearm on the side of the little finger (Ulna)
- The bone of the forearm on the side of the thumb (Radius)
During the procedure, your arthroscopy surgeon in Nehru Enclave, New Delhi, surgically replaces the affected areas of your ulna and humerus with prosthetic devices.
An artificial elbow joint consists of a plastic and metal hook with two metallic stems. Your doctor installs the stems inside your bone canal (the hollow part of your bone).
There are various types of prosthetic devices that your doctor may use during the procedure. The main options include:
Linked prosthetic: As the name suggests, this type of artificial component functions as an unfastened hinge that offers sufficient joint stability. However, due to movement-induced stress, linked prosthetics are likely to loosen themselves from the insertion point.
Unlinked prosthetic: In this type of prosthetic component, there is no link between two distinct pieces. The design of such devices depends on the nearby ligaments and allows the joint to stay together. It is more susceptible to dislocation.
Who is the Right Candidate for Total Elbow Replacement Surgery?
You qualify for the total elbow replacement surgery if you meet any of the following criteria:
- You are old and less active physically.
- You have advanced osteoarthritis.
- You have end-stage inflammatory arthritis.
- You have post-traumatic osteoarthritis.
Talk to your doctor to identify if you are the right candidate to undergo total elbow replacement surgery. If you are looking for an orthopedic specialist in Nehru Enclave, New Delhi, you can find the best ortho doctor near me online.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Nehru Enclave, Delhi
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment
Why Does Your Doctor Recommend Total Elbow Replacement Surgery?
The reasons why your doctor may recommend total elbow replacement surgery:
- If you have rheumatoid arthritis, your immune system happens to hit the healthy tissues of your body, especially the tissues surrounding your joints, including your elbow joint. It may lead to swelling, pain, and stiffness in joints. If your symptoms worsen with time and conventional measures do not work, your doctor is likely to recommend elbow replacement.
- If you have osteoarthritis in your elbow, your doctor is more likely to use nonsurgical measures in the first place. If the initial treatment fails to help you get relief from the pain and discomfort, your doctor is likely to suggest surgery.
- In older people, the quality of bone is likely to deteriorate with time. It might lead to humerus fractures. In such cases, because the person is old, using the conventional method of fixing fractures might not work. Therefore, total elbow replacement.
What are the Benefits of Total Elbow Replacement Surgery?
Some of the primary benefits of total elbow replacement surgery include the following:
- The procedure helps get relief from pain and discomfort.
- It improves the strength and motion of your elbow.
- It enhances the functionality of your hand.
- It helps upgrade the quality of life.
What Are The Possible Complications Of Total Elbow Replacement Surgery?
Some of the possible complications of total elbow replacement surgery include the following:
- Damage to the blood vessels and nerves surrounding the elbow
- Broken bone
- Allergies surrounding the artificial components
- Weakness of the tendons of your arm
- Stiffness in joints
- Blood clots
In most cases, the replacement elbow joint is likely to last for around 10-years or more. After this period, the prosthetics may wear out or get loose. If that happens, you might need a revision or second joint replacement surgery.
Although elbow joint replacement surgery is not as common as hip and knee replacement, it is most likely to help relieve joint pain and improve the quality of life successfully.
It is a painful joint condition in which the tendons present in your elbow happen to become weak due to repetitive movement of your hand, arm, and wrist. It may lead to pain and discomfort.