Gastroenterology is a medical specialty whose area of concern is the digestive system. The various organs involved with the digestive system may be treated under general surgery & gastroenterology. The diagnosis and treatment for gut illnesses can easily take place by general surgeons or gastroenterologists. You should search ‘gastroenterologist near me’ if you wish to avail general surgery & gastroenterology services.
About General Surgery & Gastroenterology
Gastroenterology is a part of general medicine. It deals with the problems of the gastrointestinal tract and region.
General surgery provides an effective treatment option for the body’s digestion system and the parts involved in it. This surgery can be performed on the rectum, large and small intestines, esophagus, pancreas, gallbladder, liver, and stomach. Consult a gastroenterologist near you to know more.
Who Qualifies for General Surgery & Gastroenterology?
A doctor may refer you to a gastroenterologist if you have certain digestive system symptoms. You need to consult your general surgeon to reach out to a gastroenterologist.
The symptoms that a gastroenterologist can cure are as follows:
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Pain in the stomach
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Sector 8, Gurugram
Why is General Surgery & Gastroenterology Conducted?
You must consult a gastroenterologist for seeking treatment pertaining to general surgery & gastroenterology. The various conditions that can be cured by general surgery & gastroenterology are as follows:
- Appendicitis - This is the condition of the appendix becoming infected and inflamed.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and hiatal hernias - GERD, or acid reflux, refers to the condition of acid reaching the food pipe, thereby resulting in heartburn. This problem can be solved by gastroenterology.
- Hernia - Gastrointestinal surgeons can solve the problem of hernia by repairing the weak spot in the muscle wall. A part of the body comes through this weak spot during a hernia.
- Gastrointestinal cancers - These are cancers of the gastrointestinal, which must be removed.
- Obesity - General surgery can eliminate the problem of obesity.
- Rectal prolapse - An intestinal part comes via the anus in this condition. Gastrointestinal surgeons can remove this problem.
- Diverticular disease - The diverticulum is like a small pouch in the large intestine. The disease can happen in the diverticulum region that can be treated with gastroenterology.
- Gallbladder disease - You can have your diseased gallbladder removed by undergoing general surgery.
Benefits of General Surgery & Gastroenterology
To seek the benefits of general surgery & gastroenterology, you must search ‘Gastroenterology doctor near me’.
The various benefits of general surgery & gastroenterology are:
- Protection of gastrointestinal organs
- Ensuring the efficient movement of substances via the intestinal region and stomach.
- Elimination of problems related to digestion.
- Ensuring the proper absorption of nutrients by the body.
- Removal of problems related to the removal of waste from the body.
- Ensuring the proper functioning of the liver.
Risks of General Surgery & Gastroenterology
Below are the various risks associated with general surgery & gastroenterology:
- Infections can get in when the body is opened due to general surgery
- Post-general surgery pain
- Formation of blood clots due to cuts from general surgery
- Damage may take place to another body part because of general surgery
- Nausea and vomiting are side effects of anesthesia used in general surgery
The various types of general surgeries, which you can get by searching ‘Gastroenterology doctor near me’, are as follows: Colorectal surgery Trauma surgery Laparoscopic surgery Vascular surgery Breast surgery Surgical oncology Transplant surgery Endocrine surgery Pediatric surgery Cardiothoracic surgery
The various tests in gastroenterology, which you can get by searching ‘Gastroenterology doctor near me’, are as follows: Barium Swallow Proctectomy Pancreas Scan Barium Enema Upper Gastrointestinal Series PEG Tube Placement Upper GI Endoscopy Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) Liver Scan Liver Biopsy Colonoscopy Sigmoidoscopy Abdominal X-ray Abdominal Ultrasound CT Scan of the abdomen Laparoscopy Colectomy
On your first visit, expect some questions from your gastroenterologist regarding your medical history, symptoms, and any recent medications. Your gastroenterologist may recommend certain prevention-based treatment methods based on your age. One of the common preventive-based treatment methods is colonoscopy, which helps to avoid colorectal cancer. You can approach a gastroenterologist by searching ‘Gastroenterology doctor near me’ on Google.