Bariatrics primarily with the causes, treatment, and prevention of obesity. Bariatric procedures are basically weight-loss surgeries involving certain modifications to your digestive system that help you lose excess weight. Though bariatric surgeries have innumerable benefits, they also come with their share of risks and side effects. It is pertinent to note that diet and exercise are essential even after bariatric surgery to ensure lasting effects.
What is a bariatric surgery procedure?
A bariatric procedure is done only when your diet and exercise have failed or your excess weight is causing you some serious health issues. Bariatric surgeries involve various techniques like limiting your food intake, reducing the size of your stomach, which ensures that you remain full even after consuming a small amount of food, reducing your body’s capacity to absorb nutrients or a combination of these.
A bariatric surgeon is qualified to perform a bariatric surgery procedure. Your bariatric surgery doctor in Jaipur will be in the best position to advise you on which type of bariatric procedure is suited for you after reviewing your health history.
Why is bariatric surgery conducted?
Bariatric surgeons in Jaipur conduct such procedures when the following criteria are met:
- You have failed to lose weight even after trying diet and exercise.
- You have a serious, life-threatening health-related issue like stroke, heart diseases, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes or non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
- If your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 40 or more (extremely obese)
- If your BMI is between 35 and 39.9 (obesity) and you have one or more weight-related issues that are life-threatening
- If your BMI is between 30 and 34 but still have some life-threatening, health-related issues
What are the different types of bariatric surgery?
- Gastric Bypass - In this type of bariatric surgery, your stomach is divided by creating a small pouch through stapling. After removing a part of your small intestine, this pouch is then joined to the rest of the small intestine. As the stomach is bypassed, fewer calories are absorbed.
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery or Sleeve Gastrectomy - Here, a major part of your stomach is constricted, including the part that produces the hormone ghrelin (that regulates your appetite).
- Gastric Band - In this surgery, an adjustable, inflatable band is applied to the upper portion of your stomach, creating a smaller pouch above your stomach. This leads to less food intake and faster satiety.
- Duodenal Switch - Also called Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (BPD/DS), this procedure involves two parts. The first is sleeve gastrectomy. The next step is to bypass a majority of the small intestine and attach the stomach to the latter half of the small intestine. This helps in restricting the capacity of the stomach leading to faster satiety.
What are the benefits of bariatric surgeries?
- They provide long-term loss of weight, reducing obesity.
- Bariatric surgeries reduce the threat of high blood pressure, heart disease, and obstructive sleep apnea.
- Bariatric procedures help in controlling type 2 diabetes.
- Bariatric procedures reduce your joint pain (osteoarthritis).
- They are useful in treating NAFLD and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Bariatric surgeries are beneficial for improving your ability to perform your daily routine activities.
- Your quality of life is improved to a great extent by these bariatric surgeries.
What are the risks or complications of bariatric surgery?
- Risks related to the surgical procedure include infection, excessive bleeding, blood clots, adverse reactions to the anesthesia, breathing issues and rarely death.
- Long-term complications of bariatric surgery like obstruction of your bowel, malnutrition, dumping syndrome (rapid gastric emptying into the small intestine leading to nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lightheadedness, and flushing), hernias, gallstones, low blood sugar, vomiting, a need for a repeat procedure, and (rarely) death can occur.
If you have further doubts, you can look for bariatric surgery hospitals near me, bariatric surgery doctors near me. Or
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
Call 18605002244 to book an appointment.
You will need to take a multivitamin table, lifelong.
Post-bariatric surgery, you can resume work in around seven to fourteen days.
Exercise is required not only to lose weight and shed calories, but it is also vital to control stress and appetite.