As one of the oldest methods of treating cancer, cancer surgeries can play a vital role. These are one of the most effective ways to arrest the spread of this disease.
Cancer surgeries work best in cases of solid tumors confined in a particular spot. A surgical oncologist is a specialist who is qualified to perform cancer surgeries.
To know more, you can consult a cancer surgery doctor near you or you can visit a cancer surgery hospital in Jaipur.
With the help of cancer surgery, an oncologist removes a tumor and the surrounding tissues containing cancer cells. It is a form of local treatment, i.e. it cures the specific part of your body affected by cancer.
The type of surgery, how many procedures needed, whether open or minimally invasive, depend on:
- The type of cancer
- The treatment plan of the oncologist
- Your overall health condition
- Stage of the cancer
- Need for reconstructive surgery
Who qualifies for cancer surgeries?
People suffering from the following types of cancer may qualify for cancer surgery:
- Head and neck cancers
- Breast cancer
- Kidney or renal cancer
- Anal cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Colon cancer
- Testicular cancer
Patients with leukemia (a type of blood cancer) or other types of cancers that have spread may not benefit from cancer surgeries. For such patients, the best surgical oncologists in Jaipur can suggest chemotherapy, hormone therapy or targeted drugs therapy.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur, Rajasthan.
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment.
Why are cancer surgeries conducted?
There are several reasons why you may undergo cancer surgery, which include:
- Diagnosis: Your doctor may perform cancer surgery to remove the entire tumor or a part of it to evaluate whether it is benign or malignant.
- Primary treatment: As the main treatment, it is a fruitful option for several types of cancer. Oncologists may recommend radiation or chemotherapy with it.
- Cancer prevention: If you are at a risk of developing cancer in a particular organ, the doctor may advise removing that organ before the onset of cancer.
- Staging: Cancer surgeries are also helpful in determining which stage your cancer is in, the size of the tumor, and whether it has damaged your lymph nodes.
- Relief from side effects or symptoms: A surgery can also prove beneficial in easing the pain and symptoms of cancer.
- Debulking: When it is challenging to remove the whole cancerous tumor, surgeons remove as much as possible and use treatment methods to cure the remaining tumor.
- Part of other treatments: Sometimes, surgeons conduct cancer surgery to facilitate performing other forms of treatment like chemotherapy or targeted drugs therapy.
- Reconstruction: Helps restore the appearance and functions of a specific body part.
Book an appointment with a surgical oncology doctor near you to discuss these in detail.
What are the different types of cancer surgeries?
Cancer surgeries can prove beneficial as the primary treatment or oncologists can combine them with other forms of cancer treatment.
The best hospitals for surgical oncology in Jaipur offer the following types of cancer surgeries:
- Curative surgery
- Diagnostic surgery
- Staging surgery
- Preventive surgery
- Debulking surgery
- Supportive surgery
- Palliative surgery
- Restorative surgery
A few examples of minimally invasive cancer surgeries are:
- Laser surgery
- Robotic surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Microscopically controlled surgery
- Minimally invasive parathyroid surgery
A visit to a hospital for surgical oncology near you can help you learn more about these surgeries.
What are the benefits of cancer surgeries?
Experienced surgical oncology doctors in Jaipur ensure maximum health benefits for you.
Cancer surgeries can prove advantageous in many ways, like:
- Possibility to eliminate all cancer cells from a small part of your body
- Removal of a large volume of tumors is possible. It can give you respite from the symptoms.
- Surgeons can take tissue samples and determine the best possible treatment.
- Cancer surgeries also help check how the cancer is responding to the treatment.
- Convenient for a cancer patient because the procedure is over in a few hours
What are the risks?
The side effects that you may experience depends on the surgery. However, most cancer surgeries carry risks like:
- Blood clots
- Loss of organ functions
- Slow recovery
- Reactions to certain drugs
- Complications related to anesthesia
- Impaired bowel and bladder functions
Do not panic, visit a surgical oncology hospital near you to prevent further complications.
Just hearing the word, cancer, can profoundly affect a person’s psychology. The notion of cancer surgery can add to your nervousness. However, cancer surgeries can be incredibly valuable for your health. These are the best and only cure possible for numerous types of cancer.
Meet a surgical oncology doctor near you to get answers to all your queries.
Supportive therapy can help you manage the side effects and improve the quality of your life.
- Behavioral health
- Nutrition therapy
- Pain management
- Oncology rehabilitation
- Spiritual therapy
- Naturopathic support
The following factors can have an impact on your cancer surgery:
- Consumption of tobacco and alcohol
- Being overweight
- Medications like blood thinners or inflammatory pain medications
- History of reaction to anesthesia
To ascertain whether you can withstand the surgery, a surgical oncology specialist in Jaipur may advise:
- Chest X-rays to evaluate your lungs
- Electrocardiogram to check your heart
- Urine test to examine your kidney function
- Blood tests for blood sugar, blood count, and risk of bleeding