Biopsy Treatment & Diagnostics in C Scheme, Jaipur
Biopsy is a procedure done to diagnose cancer. When your doctor suspects a cancerous cell in your body, you’re advised to undergo a biopsy.During the procedure, the doctor removes a piece of tissue to be sent to a laboratory for analysis. There are several methods that can suspect cancerous tissue but only a biopsy can confirm it.
Why is a biopsy done?
You may be advised to undergo a biopsy when:
- You or your doctor feel that there’s a lump of tissue accumulating in your breast. And it could be breast cance
- You find a suspicious warning in your mammogram pointing towards a cancer
- You find something unusual in an ultrasound scan
- Your doctor is skeptical after seeing your body MRI
- A mole changed appearance recently
- You have hepatitis and need to know if it’s cirrhosis
What are the types of biopsies?
There are several types of biopsies that are conducted. Most of them are done using a sharp object to remove tissue from your body. Types of biopsies that are done:
- Biopsy with a needle-This is how most biopsies are done.
- Biopsy guided by a CT scan- Patient is put in a CT-scanner to help doctors identify the exact position of the target tissue
- Biopsy guided by an ultrasound-When an ultrasound scanner helps the doctor direct the needle into place.
- Biopsy of the bone-Used to identify bone cancer.
- Bone marrow biopsy- It detects diseases of the blood.
- Biopsy of the liver- A needle captures suspected liver tissue.
- Biopsy of kidney- Same as liver biopsy, the needle is used to collect tissue
- Aspiration biopsy, also known as fine needle biopsy
- Biopsy of the prostate gland
- Biopsy of the skin
- Surgical biopsy - Uses for a tissue that can’t be obtained easily
How do you prepare for a biopsy?
Different kinds of biopsies have different procedures. But generally before your biopsy, the doctor will explain the detailed procedure in advance to you. Still, there are certain things your doctor will ask about before proceeding with the biopsy-
- Before the procedure, you will have to fill certain consent forms. You are advised to read everything carefully.
- Most of the time, the procedure is simple and you’re given local anaesthesia along with IV sedation. But sometimes you may be given general anaesthesia and are advised to fast for a few hours before the procedure in case of a surgical biopsy.
- Your doctor will ask you about your health, in case you’re allergic to any medicine.
- You will be asked about your daily medicines if any. It also includes any vitamins or calcium supplements.
- You will be asked about your pre-existing conditions if any like a bleeding disorder. Or if you take any blood thinners.
How is a biopsy done?
Before starting with the procedure you’re given local anaesthesia with IV sedation. This way you’re totally conscious but your targeted body part is numbed. Then the doctor makes a cut in your skin. Then he/she places the needle inside and scrapes out some tissue. Then the area is stitched back together. After the sample is collected they are sent to a lab for analysis. You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur for the detailed procedure. Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment.
What can you expect after the procedure?
Your recovery time totally depends upon the kind of biopsy. Sometimes you don’t need any time to recover and you’re fit to resume your daily activities while some procedures can take a lot of time.
After a biopsy, the doctor at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur will guide you about its care. Immediately contact your consulting doctor, if you experience any of these:
- Severe pain
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
It helps diagnose cancer in your body.
It totally depends upon the type of biopsy. Sometimes, the results may take up to 10 days.
In most cases, you’re awake and given local anaesthesia. But in some cases, you may be given general anaesthesia to put you in deep sleep.