Sleep Medications & Insomnia Treatments in C-scheme, Jaipur
Sleep medicine is a specialisation study in the field of medicine dedicated to studying sleeping disorders and treating it through medication or therapy. Sleeping pills are prescribed when you are having trouble sleeping due to stress, anxiety or other factors that might be disrupting your sleep cycle. Medication given depends on the factors that might be causing insomnia. Most short-term insomnia cases are treated by medication. If the disturbed sleep pattern prolongs then behavioral changes are recommended. Usually, Medication is most affected when it is combined with good sleep practices.
What is sleep medication or sleeping pills?
Sleeping pills help you sleep or treat insomnia by relaxing your body and making you feel drowsy. Sleep pills are of different kinds and each acts differently in how they cause you to fall asleep or treat insomnia. Some medicines make you feel sleepy or drowsy, whereas the other kind of medicine silence or shut the alert part of your brain to help you fall asleep.
It is important to contact a medical professional before you take medication as he/she may first understand the underlying problems like stress, anxiety, depression or addiction to alcohol etc. that may be causing the difficulty in sleeping.
What are the different kinds of sleeping pills?
Common sleeping pills used to treat insomnia are:
- Over the counter pills- Adults can buy over the counter sleep medication at any pharmacy. Most of these pills contain antihistamine that is commonly used to treat allergies. These medicines can at times leave you feeling groggy and sluggish.
- Melatonin- Melatonin is a natural hormone that the body produces to help you sleep. Some people take it in the form of supplements to induce sleep.
- Antidepressant drugs can also be prescribed to treat insomnia and anxiety
- Benzodiazepines- These sleeping pills are suitable for patients who want the medication to stay for a longer period of time in their system. They are used to treat sleep disorders like sleepwalking and night terrors.
- Selinor- This drug helps in maintaining the sleep cycle for an efficient amount of time by blocking histamine receptors. It is prescribed for people who have problems staying asleep. It is recommended for people who have a sleep cycle of less than 7 to 8 hours.
- Lunesta is a drug that helps you falling asleep too
- Dayvigo also helps people who have a problem staying asleep by suppressing that part of the nervous system that keeps you awake.
- Zolpidem- This medication is targeted at treating short-term insomnia and helps you fall asleep. It helps you fall and stay asleep. This includes medicines like Ambien, and intermezzo.
- Ramelteon- It can be prescribed for long-term use and targets the sleep cycle of the patient instead of affecting the nervous system.
What are the potential risks or side-effects of taking sleeping pills?
Sleeping pills in Jaipur should only be taken after consultation with a health professional and on prescription. They may cause some potential side-effects or risks like:
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Body may become dependent or addicted to them making it difficult to stop taking them. This may sometimes cause rebound insomnia
- Constipation, diarrhoea or nausea
- Drowsiness even after you wake up leading to accidents at times because you might drive or walk when you are not fully awake.
- Memory problems
- Some prescription sleeping pills like benzodiazepines may also lead to addiction or substance abuse
- Weight gain
- Irregular heartbeat
When should you see a doctor?
You should consult a doctor in Jaipur while getting a prescription for medication as an evaluation of the cause of insomnia is necessary. Other than that if you experience symptoms or side-effects of medication like severe fatigue, constipation, lethargy or any of the above then contact your doctor immediately.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Sleeping disorders can be corrected with the help of medication known as sleep medicine or sleeping pills. They are used to usually correct short-term insomnia. Behavioural therapy is advised for long term sleeping disorders. The medication has side effects so it should be taken only after consultation.
Do not mix sleep medication with alcohol or other sedative drugs. This can lead to serious health risks.
Sleeping pills are recommended when you might have issues falling asleep due to stress, anxiety, depression or travel a lot causing irregular sleep cycles.
Sometimes medication may interfere with the sleep cycle and you may not be able to fall asleep if your body becomes resistant to it.