Pulmonologist in Gwalior
Pulmonology is a branch of medical science, which focuses on the respiratory system. Pulmonologists diagnose and treat all disorders and diseases related to the respiratory system.
When we breathe, various muscles take part in the process. The main part is the diaphragm and the other muscles include;
- Intercostal muscles help with inhalation
- Accessory muscles also help with inhalation, but they don’t play a major role
- Exhalation muscles help with exhalation, which can be active or forceful
- Interstitial lung disease – This is associated with the inflamed disorders and scars
- Interventional pulmonology uses multidisciplinary methods to treat the disorders related to the airways, lung cancers and pleural diseases.
- Lung transplantation pre-and-post-surgery management
- Neuromuscular diseases is a disorder, which occurs because of the respiratory system failure.
- Obstructive lung disorder is a condition where the airways become blocked or narrow
- Sleep-disordered breathing
- Asthma – It is a disorder where the airways to the lungs become inflamed. It can cause difficulty in breathing and can make physical activity extremely difficult and in some cases, even impossible. The symptoms of this condition include; coughing, which may become serious at night, wheezing, tightness in chest, shortness of breath, and exhaustion.
- Bronchiectasis – In this disorder, the bronchial tubes of the lungs become wide, thick, or permanently damaged. The damaged tube allows the bacteria and mucus to accumulate and stay in the lungs. Although there is no cure for this disorder, with proper care, the symptoms are easily manageable. The symptoms of this disorder include;
- A chronic cough, which occurs every day
- ronchiectasis – In this disorder, the bronchial tubes of the lungs become wide, thick, or permanently damaged. The damaged tube allows the bacteria and mucus to accumulate and stay in the lungs. Although there is no cure for this disorder, with proper care, the symptoms are easily manageable. The symptoms of this disorder include;
- Coughing up blood
- You may notice abnormal sounds in the chest or wheezing in the chest while breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- You may cough up large amounts of mucus daily
- Sudden and unexpected weight loss
- The skin under the nails and toes may become thick, which is known as clubbing
- You may experience frequent respiratory infections
Bronchitis is of two types-acute and chronic. Chronic bronchitis is a long-term disorder where the inflammation of the surface lining of the bronchial airways will always be present. Generally, smoking is the main reasons why people suffer from this disorder. Acute inflammation is short-term and can also be contagious. The symptoms of this disorder include; coughing, wheezing, breathing problems, pain in the chest, discomfort, phlegm, feeling very tired, low-grade fever, and chills.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
It is a group of progressive lung diseases, which makes breathing very hard. The symptoms can be very mild in the beginning, but as time passes, it can turn serious. The symptoms of this condition include;
- Shortness of breath, which can occur mainly after any physical activity
- A cough, which may be mild, but can be recurrent
- You may feel the need to clear your throat often, mainly in the morning
- You may experience shortness of breath just after a simple physical activity, like walking or climbing the stairs.
- Wheezing or breathing very noisily
- Tightness in the chest
- A chronic cough, which can be accompanied by mucus
- You may feel the need to clear mucus from your lungs every single day
- Frequent cold
- Experiencing respiratory infections frequently
- Lack of energy
- Swelling of ankles or legs
- Sudden and unexpected weight loss
You need immediate medical attention if;
- Your lips or fingertips turn bluish or gray. This means the oxygen levels of the blood have become too low.
- You are having trouble breathing and are not even able to talk
- You feel confused or dizzy all of a sudden
- Your heart is racing exceedingly