General Surgery and Gastroenterology
Gastroenterology comes under the medical branch that takes care of the diseases and surgical procedures that are related to the GI tract (Gastrointestinal Tract). Our GI tract comprises esophagus, stomach, mouth, large intestine, small intestine, liver, anus, gallbladder and pancreas. General surgeons and gastroenterologists can deal with issues related to GI.
To know more, you can consult a gastroenterologist near you or you can visit a general surgery hospital in Pune.
What is gastrointestinal surgery?
Gastrointestinal surgery is a procedure that’s recommended for diseases of the Gastrointestinal Tract. There are doctors who have specialized in this disease and have experience in removing tumors, healing cancerous and non-cancerous tumors, and so on.
What are the types of gastrointestinal surgery?
- Interventional gastro procedure: This type of surgery is used to heal severe GI diseases. The interventional procedure consists of endoscopic surgeries, in which an endoscope is used to treat and diagnose the exact medical conditions of a patient. Compared to open surgeries, this procedure is minimally invasive and highly beneficial.
- ERCP procedure: Also known as the Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography, this is an endoscopic procedure to heal gallbladder, pancreas, biliary system and liver diseases, among others. It uses a combination of X-rays and endoscope to treat and heal patients.
What are the common gastrointestinal conditions?
There are plenty of GI tract conditions that can cause severe health issues, such as:
- Inflammatory bowel diseases
- Appendicitis (inflammation of the appendix)
- Gall bladder stone
- Rectal prolapse (a condition in which the intestine comes out of the anus)
- Gastrointestinal cancers (cancerous tumors in any organ of the gastrointestinal tract)
- Anal abscess (a painful condition where the skin gets filled with pus)
- Anal fissures (a small tear in the mucosa of the anus is called an anal fissure)
- Fistula (an abnormal connection between two organs or vessels that are not normally attached)
What are the symptoms of gastrointestinal conditions?
- Blood while vomiting
- Persistent and unbearable abdominal pain
- Unusually dark-colored stool
- Problem in breathing
- Chest pain
When should I consult a doctor?
If you are suffering from any of the signs and symptoms mentioned above, you need to visit your doctor immediately and seek medical attention.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Pune, Maharashtra.
Call 18605002244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks of gastroenterology surgery and procedures?
- Feeling bloated
- Over sedation
- Mild cramping
- Internal bleeding
- Bacterial or fungal infections
- Persistent pain around the area of the endoscopy
- Perforation in the lining of the stomach or esophagus
- Numb throat because of local anesthetic
What are the benefits of undergoing gastrointestinal surgery?
Before opting for surgery, your doctor must have tried oral medication and other treatments to heal your gastrointestinal disease. But if nothing works, surgery is the only and best option available for you. Surgeries help in removing tumors and correct defects to help you live a pain-free life. Undergoing surgeries can also help you get a permanent solution for your gastrointestinal conditions.
Gastroenterology is a specialized field of medical science that has been dedicated to treating gastrointestinal tract diseases and conditions. Interventional gastro procedures can diagnose and treat such diseases.
If no other procedure has worked, then Interventional gastro procedures and surgeries are the safest and highly effective methods that will reduce the infection and even ensure speedy recovery. It also lowers the chances of disease recurrence and makes sure that there are minimum to zero surgery marks on the body.
Depending on the type of the procedure, your doctor will advise you to get back to your normal life routines.
The chances of recurrence are minimum to zero after your gastrointestinal surgery for a given disease. After your surgery, there will be post-care medicines and lifestyle methods will be suggested by the doctor. If you lead a healthy life and follow the doctor’s advice properly, you will not have to face any issues.