Gastric Balloon/Intragastric Balloon – Treatment, Benefits & Procedure
The endoscopic intragastric balloon treatment is an endoscopic procedure that is used in the management of obesity. Gastric balloons can help the patients reduce 29 per cent of their excess fat deposits. The procedure is non-invasive and is performed in a daycare setting.
- Satiety feeling (stomach full)
- Non-surgical procedure
- Shorter recovery time
- No hospital stay
- Greater weight loss when compared to other diet plans
- BMI of the patient ranging from 30-70
- Individuals not less than 18 years old
- Individuals who are unable to undergo surgical procedure
- Patients who are ready to undergo a temporary implant in the stomach
- Patients who do not have a history of stomach or esophageal surgery
- Damage to the esophagus or stomach
- Risk of infection within the balloon
- Intestinal obstruction through balloon leaking and intestinal deflating
The benefits of endoscopic intragastric balloon are visible, only when the patient maintains a good lifestyle with a healthy diet and by performing regular exercise. The patient can gain back the weight if the recommended lifestyle changes are not followed.