ileal transposition surgery cost and its procedure steps
This surgery developed by Dr. Aureo-de Paula from Brazil is performed as part of research at Bombay Hospital, Mumbai. It is performed through laparoscopy or key-hole route. It is expected to help glycaemic control in selected type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.
Early contact of undigested food (chyle) with interposed segment of ileum results in increased blood levels of GLP-1 hormone levels. GLP-1 is believed to have following effect:
- Glucose even with severe ß-cell impairment
- Stimulates insulin secretion
- Exerts proliferative effect on pancreatic ß
- This is believed to result in acute insulin response, which is usually lost in type 2 diabetics. This leads to blood sugar control immediately after a meal.
- Most of the patients are in recovery/intensive care for 1-2 days due to their medical limitations.
- Most of the patients are allowed to have liquids within 24 hours of surgery.
- Patients are encouraged to walk by evening on the day of surgery.
- Usually, patients are sent home on the 5th day after surgery.
- Patients can resume normal work 2 weeks after discharge from hospital.
- Long walks: 10 days later
- Aerobic activities like swimming: 20 days later
- Weight training etc.: 30 days later
- Abdominal exercises: 3 months later
Ileal transposition [IT] is performed by expert surgeons at the following Apollo Spectra Hospitals Centres. Click on the location to make an appointment.