Pediatrics is a medical field specializing in the medical care and health of infants, children, and adolescents. The word “pediatrics” comes from the Greek words, ‘pais’ and ‘iatros,’ meaning ‘healer of a child.’ Pediatrics is a relatively new field, only discovered in the mid-19th century. Pediatricians, the medical specialists in this field, treat acute and chronic medical conditions in people of 21 years and younger. Pediatricians not only treat their patients but provide preventive services as well.
Why are Pediatric Procedures Required?
Pediatric procedures are required to:
- Reduce infant and child mortality
- Control the spread of infections
- Create awareness and promote healthy lifestyles
- Aid in the management of chronic medical conditions
- Reduce the risk of developing diseases
What are the conditions treated by pediatrics?
Most common conditions treated by a pediatrician include:
- Organic dysfunction and diseases
- Congenital and hereditary disorders
Pediatricians are also required to undergo special training in specific medical procedures and specializations such as treating heart diseases in children. These specialists not only provide treatment but also help in the early diagnosis, prevention, and management of the following problems:
- Developmental delays
- Speech problems
- Social issues
- Behavioral issues
- Mental health issues such as anxiety and depression
If your child suffers from any of the above conditions, it is a good time to consult a pediatrician near you.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Sector 8, Gurugram
What are the types of pediatrics?
The field of pediatrics is divided into the following areas:
- General pediatrics - Pediatricians look after medical conditions in children ranging from infants to adolescents.
- Neonatology - A subspecialty of pediatrics that looks after newborns in intensive care or babies with problems at birth.
- Community pediatrics - This is an area in pediatrics that focuses on child’s social, emotional, and behavioral problems and physical disabilities.
- Pediatric cardiology - A subspeciality where doctors diagnose and treat children with cardiovascular conditions.
- Pediatric neurology - Specializes in treating and managing neurological disorders that persist from childhood till adulthood.
- Pediatric oncology - This subspecialty looks at diagnosing and treating different types of cancer in children and adolescents.
- Pediatric nephrology - This subfield focuses on treating medical conditions affecting the urinary system, such as kidney disease and urinary tract infections.
- Pediatric rheumatology - These specialists heal children suffering from musculoskeletal disorders such as chronic pain and juvenile arthritis.
- Pediatric endocrinology - A subfield in pediatrics that looks at children with hormonal endocrinological problems such as diabetes.
- Behavioral pediatrics - These pediatricians specialize in diagnosing, assessing, and treating learning and behavioral problems in children.
Benefits of Pediatric Procedures:
A pediatrician offers a wide range of services. These include:
- Diagnosis of a medical condition
- Prescribing medications
- Management of diseases
- Administering vaccinations
- Offering professional advice to patient’s caregivers
- Assessing a child’s emotional, physical, and social development
- Referring families and caregivers to other pediatric specialists
The complications associated with pediatric medical diseases include:
- High fever
- Trouble breathing
- Constant crying
- Difficulty sleeping
If you think your child is showing any of the above symptoms, you can consult a pediatrician near you.
Pediatrics is a medical branch that specializes in the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of medical conditions in infants, children, and adolescents. While these are the primary services a pediatrician provides, they also provide vaccinations, general health advice, and referrals to other specialists. Pediatricians prevent and manage issues such as developmental disorders, behavioral problems, physical disability, and mental health disorders. While there are many subspecialties in pediatrics, consult a general pediatrician first if your child suffers from symptoms such as fever, trouble breathing, and infection.
Yes. You can. It is strongly recommended that to-be-parents speak to a pediatrician for information related to the child’s health and more.
It is advised that you take your child to a pediatrician every few months every year for regular checkups and not only when your child is ill.
Your child needs to get the important immunizations to help their immune system fight off serious infections and diseases.