Best Achilles Tendon Repair Treatment & Diagnostics in C Scheme, Jaipur
The Achilles tendon is one of the important tendons of your body. It is the largest tendon in your body that connects your calf muscle to the heel bone. It helps you run, jump and walk.
Sometimes, achilles tendon can tear due to sudden force or while playing sports. Achilles tendon repair surgery is used to fix a damaged Achilles tendon. Rupture of the Achilles tendon can cause pain and swelling around the ankle. During Achilles tendon repair surgery, your doctor will stitch the tendon together.
How is Achilles tendon repair surgery performed?
There are surgical and non-surgical treatments to repair the damaged tendon. The doctors at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur will recommend treatment depending on your age and severity of the injury.
Your doctor may recommend:
- Using crutches
- Painkillers to relieve the pain
- Applying ice to the affected area
- Keeping your ankle at rest
Your doctor may recommend surgery if the Achilles tendon is ruptured. This surgery can be done with several methods. The tendon may be stitched together or replaced with another tendon depending on the severity of the injury.
- You will be given spinal anesthesia or sedation so that you do not feel anything from your waist down.
- Your doctor will watch your heart rate and blood pressure during the procedure.
- Your surgeon will make an incision through the sheath that surrounds your tendon.
- They will remove the damaged parts of the tendon or stitch the tendon together.
- Your surgeon may replace the ruptured tendon by removing another tendon from your foot.
- He or she will repair the other damages
- Your surgeon will close the layers of skin and muscle around the calf by using sutures.
What are the benefits of Achilles tendon repair surgery?
The benefits of Achilles tendon repair surgery include:
- It helps you participate in physical activities again.
- It helps you bear weight sooner
- The surgery will help to repair the tendon
What are the side effects of Achilles tendon repair surgery?
The side effects of Achilles tendon repair surgery include:
- Nerve damage around the surgical site
- Excess bleeding from the wound
- Infection around the wound
- You may experience calf weakness
- Blood clot around the wound
- Pain and discomfort in your ankle or foot
- Complications due to anaesthesia
- Fever after the surgery
How to prepare for Achilles tendon repair surgery?
Before Achilles tendon repair surgery, the doctors at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur recommend few things which include:
- It is important to inform your doctor about the medications you are taking.
- If you are pregnant or have diabetes or high blood pressure, it is important to inform your doctor.
- You should stop taking blood thinner medicines like aspirin before the surgery
- It is important to stop consuming alcohol, caffeine before the surgery.
- Quit smoking before the surgery.
- Your doctor will recommend imaging tests like ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or X-rays to assess the injury around your ankle.
- It is important not to drink water or eat after midnight, the night before the surgery.
- You should inform your doctor immediately if you are experiencing any change in your health like fever.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Achilles tendon repair surgery can take up to 3 months to heal. Therapy may be recommended by your doctor to strengthen your muscles and restore movement of the ankle.
Achilles tendon repair surgery is performed under general anaesthesia. You may experience severe pain or discomfort after the surgery. The pain will go away once the ruptured tendon is repaired.
Some tendon injuries do not require surgery and heal over time. It depends on the severity of the injury. Chronic rupture may require medical attention and surgery.