With increasing incidences of breast cancer, breast health has emerged as a major health concern in recent times. No matter what age a girl is, she must have a healthy knowledge of the do and don’ts of the breasts. They must be aware of any change in the way breasts normally look. Look out for any lumps in the breasts and contact your doctor. Women of high age are more likely to have breast issues. Doctors suggest regular breast check-ups (mammograms) for them.
There are many myths around misconceptions about breast health. Some of the normal conditions which are often misconnected are-
- Slight difference in breast size.
- One breast hanging more than the other.
- Hurtful breasts during periods.
- Hair around nipples.
To maintain breast health, you have to follow various simple measures. A good diet and regular exercise are a boon for your breast health. Some of the things to keep in mind to have healthy breasts are-
- Maintain Healthy Weight- A healthy weight plays a major role in having healthy breasts. Those overweight or obese have a higher risk of breast cancers. The high body mass index (30 or above) is at higher risk than others with lower BMI. A woman who has beaten breast cancer and has a high BMI will have a high risk for the disease coming back. Opt for healthy diets with plenty of fruits, veggies, poultry, and low-fat dairy products.
- Regular Exercise- Exercising daily helps in the prevention of many diseases and also gives better metabolism. According to a study, women with regular exercise routines have 25% lesser chances of developing breast cancer. Exercise helps in better functioning of the body and prevention of obesity.Exercise makes bones healthy and you can easily fight numerous diseases.
- Reduced Alcohol Intake- Women who drink regularly are at an increased risk of breast issues. The high quantity of alcohol per day will eventually lead to many diseases including breast cancer. If you have to, try and limit yourself to one drink per day.
- Breastfeeding- We are all aware that breastfeeding is essential for babies. However, the same applies for mothers as well. According to studies, breastfeeding mothers are at a lower risk of breast cancer. Moreover, mothers who breastfeed for more than 1 year benefit more than those who feed for a shorter duration.
- Taking Vitamins D- Vitamin D has special links with breast health. Research has proven that women with low vitamin D have a high risk for breast cancer. Moreover, women who have survived breast cancer, but suffer from Vitamin D deficiency are also at risk of reappearance of the disease. Sun is the best source of Vitamin D. In case of a deficiency of vitamin D, you may ask your doctor for its supplements.
- Support your breasts- Breasts should have proper support so they do not hang or stretch. A proper size of bra is necessary. However, many women wear the wrong size. Therefore, you must have the proper knowledge of your size. Moreover, replace your bra regularly as they wear out after some time.
- Diagnosis- Regular check-up is necessary to have healthy breasts. You can easily contact the doctors who will provide breast examinations. You must be self-aware of your breasts. There are various self-examination techniques to check for any lumps or irregularities in the normal breasts.
When to See a Doctor?
You must contact your doctor in case of any irregularity or unusual change in the breasts. The reasons to must contact the doctor are-
- Any lumps on the breasts which are new to you.
- In case of swelling around breasts, armpits, or collarbones.
- Itchy breasts or nipples.
- Blood coming out of nipples.
You can easily get your appointment at Apollo Hospitals for regular check-ups of your breasts.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
Breast health is a serious issue under consideration for every girl or woman. There are many ways by which you can make your breast healthy. The most important thing is proper diet and exercise with regular check-ups. In case of any changes in the breasts, you must contact the doctors.
There are many ways by which you can improve your breast health such as-
- Maintain healthy weight
- Regular exercises
- Limit alcohol intake
- Taking Vitamin D
- Regular check-ups.
The foods good for breasts are arugula and kale, green tea, yogurt, garlic, lentils, and fruits.
Yes, it is okay to wear a bra to bed if you are comfortable with it. Moreover, choose a lightweight and no underwire bra.