The number of people suffering from vision loss in India has been on a rise and has increased by almost 1.5 crores this year. In a country known for high numbers of diabetes patients, who are prone to developing eye diseases, ophthalmology plays a key role. With recent advances in this field and one ophthalmologist dedicated to every 10,000 citizens in India, eye care and disease prevention have become possible. Moreover, the latest state-of-the-art treatments are now available and affordable.
Irrespective of the precautions you take, minor eye problems such as red eyes, watery eyes, itching, and burning can occur. These issues can be managed without major medical intervention, but certain other eye conditions may require medical attention. The most common eye-related disorders in India are cataract, conjunctivitis, macular degeneration, glaucoma, and entropion. These eye disorders can lead to vision loss in case of negligence or delayed treatment.
Symptoms of Common Eye Disorders
Occasional reddening or itching of eyes is nothing to worry about, but aforementioned eye disorders may present with symptoms such as
- Cloudy vision
- Swollen eyelids
- Dryness along with burning and itching sensation
- Vision loss with pain in the eyes
- Curling of the inner edge of eyelashes and eyelids
Some of the factors that pose a threat to eye health and vision care are:
- Unhealthy or inadequate diet
If you experience any of the above-mentioned symptoms, get in touch with an ophthalmologist.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals,
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
for the best eye care facilities and expert professionals. In case of delayed treatment, these symptoms can increase the risk of infections that can also lead to loss of vision in some cases. Call today to book an appointment for an eye check-up to avoid further complications and damage to the eyes.
Prevention of Eye Disorders
It is necessary to get eye checkups done regularly, especially once you cross 30 years of age. Aging poses a risk factor for eye health. Prevention being better than cure, here are some tips for prevention of eye disorders,
- Know your risks: Conditions such as diabetes or hypertension can lead to eye disorders. Make sure you get annual checkups and keep the conditions under control.
- Protect your eyes from the sun: Exposure to UV rays increases the risk of eye disorders, especially cataracts and cancers.
- Reduce alcohol consumption: Excessive consumption of alcohol has been linked to extreme dryness, which leads to a condition known as keratoconjunctivitis sicca.
- Avoid active as well as passive smoking: Smoking increases the risk of all common eye disorders such as cataract, diabetic retinopathy, as well as macular degeneration.
- Reduce screen time: Constant use of digital devices leads to computer vision syndrome also known as CVS. It can lead to decreased vision, dryness, and even pain.
- Avoid using over-the-counter eye drops: Access to eye drops without the need for a prescription should be avoided. Many of these contain steroids, which can incur more harm than benefits.
How Can These Eye Disorders Be Treated?
Cataract - Cataract can be treated with a simple laser surgery. The procedure is known as laser cataract surgery.
Conjunctivitis - This eye condition cannot be treated with surgery. It can be chronic or acute and can be treated by topical and oral medications.
Age-related macular degeneration - Depending on your ophthalmologist and the complications, it can either be treated with oral or injectable drugs, or laser treatment.
Glaucoma - Depending on the severity, the treatment options include topical medications, laser, surgery, or a combination of these options.
Call Apollo clinic or visit our nearest branch today to book an appointment with our ophthalmologist for an eye check-up. You can find out the nearest clinic by looking up “ophthalmologist near me” or “ophthalmologist in Koramangala.”
Yes, we have specialized ophthalmologists in ICL repair surgery in every branch including Apollo Koramangala.
Yes, we have experienced ophthalmologists and we do provide laser and other surgical procedures at Apollo.
We offer screenings for eye disorders, regular visual tests, prescription for spectacles, as well as surgical treatment options for all conditions including ICL repair, squint IOL, keratoplasty, as well as, blepharoplasty at Apollo Koramangala.