Meniscus repair Treatment & Diagnostics in C Scheme, Jaipur
Meniscus repair is the knee surgery that is done to repair the torn piece of cartilage inside the joint. The meniscus is a c-shaped disc of cartilage located between the bones of the knee. It has the function of absorbing the shock. The important responsibility of the meniscus is to absorb the pressure and distribute the bodyweight uniformly.
The meniscus tear occurs due to the sudden twist of the foot or the ankle. The other reason includes the following:
- Climbing the hills or stairs
- Squatting, especially during lifting the heavy object
- Walking on a tough, hard, or uneven ground
What Is the Procedure for Meniscus Repair at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur?
The surgeon suggests the patient carry out a knee arthroscopy. This is done with an instrument called an Arthroscope which has a camera attached to it. It is inserted inside the knee to diagnose and repair the meniscus tear or injury.
Before the surgery, general anaesthesia is given and the knee is prepped. The surgeon then inserts the tube to determine whether the meniscus repair can be repaired or only partial meniscectomy is necessary.
If the meniscus tear can be repaired, the surgeon sutures the torn edges together. In cases like these, the meniscus is persevered to absorb the pressure and the shock. This technique is preferred only if the meniscus is to be repaired. Recovery after this surgery usually takes time as the cartilages that are joined together need to heal.
If the meniscus tear cannot be repaired, the surgeon performs a procedure called a partial meniscectomy. This technique allows the surgeon to trim the damaged part of the meniscus and leaving the healthy undamaged tissue to remain intact. The recovery rate after this surgery is generally faster than the patients who chose to recover with sutures.
If the meniscus tear is extensive, a full meniscectomy is chosen to relieve all the symptoms. This technique allows the surgeon to remove the entire meniscus. This results in knee degeneration
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Who Are the Right Candidates for Meniscus Repair at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur?
Meniscus repair may provide a positive outlook if:
- Besides being injured, meniscus tissue is in good condition
- If the meniscus tear is vertical
- Tears are on the outer edges of the meniscus
- You are under the age of 55
- You do not have arthritis
What Are the Benefits of Meniscus Repair at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur?
The benefits of undergoing a meniscus repair include the following:
- Relieves the symptoms 85% of the time
- Reduces the risk of long-term joint problems
- Reduces the risk of knee degeneration
- If you are an athlete, it increases the chances of getting back to playing sports again
- Reduces the pain that occurs during running or walking for long distances
What Are the Side Effects of Meniscus Repair?
The side effects of meniscus repair include the following:
- If you’re over age 30, there are chances of the knee wearing out with an increase in the age factor.
- If you have a degenerative condition of osteoarthritis, then there are higher chances of needing a meniscus repair
- If you play rough contact sports like hockey, football rugby, then the risk of a meniscus tear is more likely to occur
- If you play sports that involve pivoting such as basketball, gold tennis then the chances of getting your meniscus torn is higher
If any of the following symptoms are experienced in your knee, then it indicates meniscus tear:
- Severe pain
- Due to the increase of the fluid around the knee, you are unable to send or straighten your knee
- Giving away or buckling
The recovery rate of an individual depends on their lifestyle health condition, age, weight, and other significant factors. However, it takes about a few days to 6 weeks to heal and recover.
To the people who insist on getting back to their physical activities or sports, the surgeon suggests a physical therapy and rehabilitation center.