Microdiscectomy Surgery in C-scheme, Jaipur
Breast ducts, also called milk ducts, are tiny tubes that carry milk from the breast lobules to the nipple. Women may experience nipple discharge due to many reasons. Factors like age, widening of milk ducts and growth of warts in the milk duct can trigger nipple discharge. Nipple discharge can also be a signal of breast cancer.
Microdochectomy is a surgical procedure in which the breast or milk ducts of your body are removed. There are 12 or 15 milk ducts in your body. This surgery is done if there is continuous nipple discharge from a single breast duct.
How is it performed?
Microdochectomy is done under general anesthesia. This surgical procedure takes 20 or 30 minutes to finish. During this procedure, your doctor at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur will insert a lacrimal probe into your duct. With the help of the lacrimal probe, your doctor will make an incision around your areola. After this, the duct and the surrounding part of the tissue will be excised followed by the removal of the breast or milk ducts. Lastly, your doctor will stitch your wound with the help of dissolving sutures. The ducts will be sent to the laboratory. It will be studied under microscopic examination to diagnose the reason for nipple discharge.
What are the benefits of Microdochectomy?
The benefits of microdochectomy include:
- It will help detect the reason for nipple discharge.
- It will help your doctor diagnose your problem and give the required treatments.
- It can detect abnormal growth of cells or cancerous cells.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks associated with microdochectomy?
The risks associated with microdochectomy include:
- Bleeding: There may be bleeding from the wound.
- Infection: There is a possibility of infection around the surgical site. Antibiotics will be prescribed by your doctor to avoid chronic nipple infections.
- Pain: You may experience pain in your breast after the surgical procedure.
- Breastfeeding: You will not be able to breastfeed from the breast on which microdochectomy was performed. Due to the removal of the milk or breast ducts, that particular breast will no longer produce milk.
- Nipple sensation: You may experience loss of nipple sensation around the nipple.
- Changes in skin: It can result in changing of skin around your nipple because the blood supply to the nipple is damaged.
How to prepare for microdochectomy?
Before the surgery, you may have to follow certain rules as informed by the specialists at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur.
- If you are taking any other medications, inform your doctor.
- Avoid smoking before the surgery.
- Do not consume alcohol before the procedure.
- Avoid taking blood thinner medicines prior to the surgery.
- Your doctor may prescribe a nutritional diet before the surgery.
Yes, it is safe and it will help to diagnose the cause of nipple discharge.
This surgery is conducted under anesthesia. You may experience pain and discomfort after the surgery.
Yes, it can detect cancerous cells. After the milk ducts are removed, it is sent to the laboratory. It is studied under microscopic examination. Any abnormal growths in the milk ducts can be easily detected.
After the surgical procedure, there is a high risk of infection around the nipple.