Sleep Apnea Treatment in C-scheme, Jaipur
Sleep apnea is a disorder that causes repeated interruptions in breathing during the sleep cycle. Generally, the pauses or interruptions in breathing are of 10 seconds or more. It is a common disorder with more than 10 lakh cases per year in India. Sleep apnea is curable and treatable under medical guidance.
Types of sleep apnea
- Obstructive sleep apnea: Obstructive sleep apnea is the most common type of sleep apnea. It occurs when the throat muscles block the airway causing the breathing to stop for a few seconds repeatedly during sleep. This leads to improper breathing.
- Central sleep apnea: Central sleep apnea occurs when the brain stops sending signals to the muscles to breathe. This condition is less common than obstructive sleep apnea. It causes a repeated interruption in breathing during sleep.
- Complex sleep apnea: Complex sleep apnea is an uncommon breathing disorder. It includes characteristics of both obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea.
Symptoms of sleep apnea
The signs and symptoms of sleep apnea include
- Pauses in breathing during the sleep cycle
- Snoring loudly (making loud noises while sleeping)
- Waking up in the morning with a dry mouth
- Experiences of headache in the morning
- Insomnia (facing trouble in staying asleep)
- Lack of attention
- Hypersomnia (excessive sleepiness during the day)
- Sense of irritability
Causes of sleep apnea
Here are some of the major factors which causes sleep apnea
- Age: Sleep apnea affects older adults more in comparison to young people.
- Obesity: Obesity means being overweight. Excess in weight may increase the risk of being affected by sleep apnea.
- Gender: Men are at a higher risk to have sleep apnea than women. Women are most likely to get affected when they are overweight.
- The thickness of the neck: People who have thicker necks are at higher risk. The airways may be narrower in people who have thicker necks.
- Smoking: Individuals who smoke are more at risk of getting sleep apnea. Due to smoking, the upper airway may get an excessive amount of fluid retention and inflammation which may further block the upper airway.
- Family history:People who have family members suffering from sleep apnea are more likely to get affected by sleep apnea.
- Past medical conditions: People who have suffered from certain diseases in the past such as high blood pressure, heart failure or, type 2 diabetes are more at risk of being affected by sleep apnea.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Jaipur
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Treatments and remedies
It is recommended to see a doctor or a medical health care expert at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur while experiencing the symptoms of sleep apnea.
Change in lifestyle: for a milder case of sleep apnea, the doctors in Jaipur advise changing lifestyle including specific treatment for allergies, losing weight, and to quit smoking.
Therapies:therapy may be advised by the doctor for moderate or severe cases. Some of the therapies or treatments include:
- Continuous positive airway pressure: it is a device that delivers oxygen through a mask during the sleep cycle. Although it can be uncomfortable or difficult to use a CPAP, with practice and consistency, the patient will get comfortable.
- Oral appliances: oral appliances are designed to keep the throat open. They are easier to use as well as effective.
- Oxygen supplement: various devices which work for supplying oxygen to the lungs can be used in some cases of sleep apnea.
- Adaptive servo-ventilation:this is an approved airflow device that learns the patient’s breathing pattern and stores the information in its inbuilt computer. This prevents pauses in breathing during the sleep cycle.
Sleep apnea is a common disorder and completely treatable under the guidance of a health care expert at Apollo Spectra, Jaipur. It is treated by therapies and medications. Though in very rare cases, if the therapies fail then surgery can be considered as an option Surgery is a safe and required option to look after if the therapies fail in providing relief.
Generally, sleep apnea is not dangerous and can be treated through therapies and changes in lifestyle. It may cause discomfort and irritability.
The healing depends on the type and the treatment being taken to cure sleep apnea.
These machines are small in size. CPAP masks may be uncomfortable in the beginning but people get used to them in a few weeks.