Thyroid Gland Removal Surgery in Karol Bagh, Delhi
The surgical removal of all or part of your thyroid gland is known as a thyroidectomy. The thyroid is a tiny butterfly-shaped gland. It's right below the voice box, in the bottom front portion of the neck. The thyroid generates hormones, which the blood transports to all of the body's tissues. It regulates metabolism, which is the process through which the body converts food into energy. It also aids in the correct functioning of the organs and the heat conservation of the body. The thyroid might generate too much hormone at times. It may also develop structural issues, such as swelling and cysts or nodules growing. When these issues arise, thyroid surgery is required.
Thyroid removal surgery is the removal of the entire thyroid gland or a part of it. It can be performed in a thyroid removal hospital in Delhi.
The Procedure of a Thyroid Removal Surgery
Thyroid removal surgery is performed in a hospital. It's necessary to avoid eating or drinking anything before the night of your surgery. When you arrive at the hospital, the doctor will check you, and they will give you fluids and medicines, and a nurse will place an IV on your wrist or arm. You will meet with your surgeon, a thyroid removal specialist in Nehru Enclave, before surgery. They'll give you a short explanation and answer any questions you have regarding the process. You'll also meet with the anesthesiologist, who will inject the medication that will put you to sleep throughout the surgery.
You'll be brought into the operating room on a stretcher when it's time for the operation. Your IV will be injected with medication by the anesthesiologist. As the medicine enters your body, it may feel cold or sting, but it will rapidly put you to sleep.
Thyroid removal doctors in Delhi will gently remove all or part of the thyroid gland after making an incision over it. It's typically hidden in a skin fold. The operation may take 2 hours or more because the thyroid is tiny and surrounded by nerves and glands.
Nurses will check your health status and, if needed, provide pain medication. After you're in a stable state, they'll transport you to a room where they will watch you for 24 to 48 hours.
Who Qualifies for Thyroid Removal Surgery?
If you have any of the following conditions, you are eligible for thyroid removal surgery:
- Children, young women, pregnant women, and individuals with coexisting thyroid nodules
- If you have a hyperthyroid gland that is unresponsive to medication or to treat thyroid cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Noncancerous enlargement of the thyroid (goiter)
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Indeterminate or suspicious thyroid nodules
Why Is Surgery Required?
When you consult for thyroid removal treatment in Nehru Nagar, the doctors will tell you that nodules or tumors on the thyroid gland are the reason for thyroid removal surgery. The majority of nodules are harmless; however, some are cancerous or precancerous. Even benign nodules can create difficulties if they get large enough to block the throat or encourage the thyroid to generate excessive hormones.
Another reason for thyroid surgery is swelling or enlargement of the thyroid gland. The medical name for this disease is goiter. Goitres, like large nodules, can block the throat, making it difficult to swallow, talk, or breathe.
Benefits of Thyroid Removal Surgery
Thyroid removal doctors in Delhi will inform you of the advantages of thyroid removal surgery. Here are some benefits:
- This surgery removes thyroid tumors that are large and malignant (cancerous).
- Removal of Grave's disease causes hyperthyroidism (an overactive thyroid gland)
- This surgery removes all or part of the goiter (an enlarged thyroid gland), which pushes on other neck tissues, especially if this pressure makes swallowing or breathing difficulties.
- This surgery removes and examines a thyroid nodule that had multiple "indeterminate" findings on biopsy.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Nehru Enclave, Delhi
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment
Risks or Complications in Thyroid Removal Surgery
Thyroidectomy is a surgical operation that considers being safe. If you have any doubts, you can contact any thyroid removal hospital in Nehru Nagar.
Some people, however, experience severe or minor problems, which include:
- Bleeding from a neck wound
- Infection in the wound by surgery
- Injury to the parathyroid glands can result in low calcium levels and muscle spasms.
- If there is recurrent laryngeal nerve injury, you may develop hoarseness and a weak voice.
- If you have thyroid cancer, you may need further treatment (radioactive iodine treatment).
Generally, you can go to work in one to two weeks.
You can eat a balanced diet, and make sure you drink lots of water.
Controlling pain is essential for healing and a speedy recovery. Following your operation, you will experience some discomfort. Your doctor will prescribe medications so that you may relax and receive the rest you require. If your pain worsens, contact your doctor right away.