Enlarged Prostate Treatment (BPH) Treatment & Diagnostics in Nehru Enclave, Delhi
Enlarged Prostate Treatment (BPH)
The prostate gland is a part of the male reproductive system. It surrounds the urethra thereby propelling or pushing forward urine as well as semen that passes through the urethra.
The gland grows as you age, but may sometimes grow abnormally large, and this condition is called benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH) or enlargement of the prostate.
The best prostate doctor in Delhi may help you manage the condition, depending on the stage.
What are the symptoms?
- You may have painful urination.
- You may have difficulty passing urine.
- Incontinence - there is a sudden urge to urinate or difficulty in holding urine back.
- There is an increased frequency of urination at night known as nocturia.
- You may experience dribbling of urine.
- Some individuals may also face difficulties during sexual activities.
What are the causes of BPH?
- Idiopathic: Sometimes your prostate gland may get enlarged without any particular reason.
- Age: BPH usually occurs in men aged 50 years and above due to age-related hormonal changes.
- Genetic predisposition: BPH is said to run in families, and therefore, some men may be predisposed towards it.
When do you need to see a doctor?
All men above the age of 50 must get themselves checked routinely for reproductive system health.
If you experience slowly increasing difficulty in urinating that gets worse at night or any of the symptoms mentioned above, you must consult a urologist near you.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Nehru Enclave, Delhi.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
How is BPH diagnosed?
- Urodynamic tests
- Urine analysis
- Rectal examination
- Residual urine analysis
What are the risk factors?
- Unhealthy lifestyle: A sedentary lifestyle increases your chances of having BPH.
- Diet: An unhealthy diet that tends to cause obesity can prove to be a cause of you having BPH.
- Certain medications: These medications may add to your risk of developing an enlarged prostate gland:
What are the possible complications?
- Urethral obstruction
- Urinary infections
- Sexual dysfunction
- Prostate cancer
How do you prevent BPH?
- Healthy lifestyle: Maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle is essential.
- Diet: Go for a healthy diet.
- Routine checkup: Get yourself checked regularly for preventing any possible complications due to such disorders.
What are the treatment options?
There are three stages of treatment aimed at helping you overcome the disease:
- Lifestyle modifications:
- Healthy lifestyle: Individuals with enlarged prostate must have an active and healthy lifestyle that help you stay away from such disorders.
- Exercise: Exercise in the form of walking and cycling at least 3-5 times a week can keep your body fit.
- Diet: Avoid cigarettes and alcohol in all forms. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables that provide good antioxidants to the body.
- Drug therapy:
When lifestyle modifications do not help in the later stages of the disease, your prostate doctor will prescribe medicines. These include alpha -1 blockers, hormone reduction medicines and/or antibiotics.
- Surgical Intervention:
Surgical procedures are the last resort to control your prostate gland enlargement. These include:
- Transurethral needle ablation (TUNA): Radio waves are used to burn or reduce the overgrown prostate tissue.
- Transurethral microwave therapy (TUMT): Micro waves are used to reduce the size of your enlarged prostate gland.
- Transurethral water vapor therapy: Steam may also be used to shrink the abnormal tissue growth in your prostate.
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP): If your symptoms get worse, your prostate surgeon will remove the enlarged organ through the urethra partially to check further growth.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Nehru Place, Delhi.
Call 860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
Enlarged prostate or BPH is a preventable disease. It can be treated successfully with lifestyle modifications, drugs or surgery in the worst case scenarios
Loss of sexual function may occur if the enlargement goes out of control or when it directly affects semen flow.
You can consult the best physiotherapist in Delhi for learning Kegel exercises that improve pelvic strength to control your urine flow and bladder emptying.
Some individuals are prone to developing cancerous tissues. If your prostate enlargement goes unchecked, it may lead to cancer, but this is rare.