Hearing loss refers to the total or partial incapability to hearing external sounds. It can happen to people of any age and is not just experienced by old people. Everyone needs to take care of their hearing health and encourage people to be conscious about the same. Knowing more about hearing loss can help you prevent it or take better actions to treat it. Here are a few things you should know about hearing loss.
Signs of Hearing Loss
Early detection or prevention of hearing loss is important. Being aware of the early signs of hearing loss can help you maintain your hearing health. Some of the common symptoms are:
- Struggling to follow conversations or missing parts of them.
- Buzzing or whistling sounds in the ear.
- Need to frequently ask people to repeat themselves.
- Speaking in a louder tone than usual.
- Need to point your ears to the sound.
- Listening to radio or television at a higher volume than required.
- Avoid social situations where listening is important.
Causes of Hearing Loss
- Ear infection: Hearing loss caused by an ear infection is called conductive hearing loss. In this condition, sounds cannot get through the outer and middle ear.
- Excessive noise: Persistent exposure to loud noise can be harmful especially to the inner ear. It can cause damage to the cells and membranes in the cochlea.
- Impacted ear wax: Building up of ear wax can sometimes act as a physical barrier for the sound to travel from the outer ear to the inner ear.
- Aging: The gradual loss of hearing as a person gets older is a common problem.
- Perforated eardrum: A perforated eardrum is a hole in the tissue that separates the ear canal from the middle ear. This may be caused by exposure to loud sounds, head trauma, and more.
- Trauma or injury: Traumatic injuries in the head can cause severe problems related to the ear, including hearing loss, vertigo, dizziness, and tinnitus.
Treatment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals
If you have hearing problems, we are here to help. Our experts at Apollo Spectra Hospitals ensure to provide the best care for all your hearing health-related concerns. They conduct a detailed diagnosis and offer various treatment options based on your problem, from prescribing the right medication to performing surgeries to correct any defect in the ear. So if you have any concerns related to hearing, or know someone who manifests the signs and symptoms of hearing loss, ensure that you consult our specialists for a hearing assessment.