Best Colon Cancer Treatment & Diagnostics in Chirag Enclave, Delhi
Colon cancer is a type of cancer that starts in the large intestine, specifically in the colon, deemed the last part of the digestive tract.
It usually occurs in elderly people. It will usually start off as benign polyps and then progress to become cancer at later stages. It may also be sometimes referred to as colorectal cancer when the colon and the rectum have cancerous cells developing in them.
What does colon cancer surgery entail?
A colectomy is usually defined as a surgical procedure performed to remove the entire or parts of the colon.
- In case only a part of the colon is removed, then the process is called hemicolectomy or partial or segmental resection. The nearby lymph nodes are also removed, so that they can be examined for the cancer growths.
- In case of total removal of the colon, it is known as a complete colectomy. It is usually performed when cancer develops with other problems such as inflammatory bowel disease or polyp formation.
To know more, consult a colon cancer doctor near you or visit a cancer surgery hospital in New Delhi.
Why is this colon cancer surgical procedure performed?
The surgical procedure is performed on patients who have tumors that are blocking the large intestine, therefore the surgical procedure is done to relieve the blockage. It is also called a diverting colostomy and in multiple patients, this helps along with chemotherapy or radiation therapy. It is even performed in some situations when cancer has not metastasized.
What are the types of colectomy?
It is usually performed in two ways:
Open colectomy - It is a conventional procedure with large incisions.
- Laparoscopic colectomy - a surgeon uses special tools such as a laparoscope, which is a thin tube with a tiny camera that is inserted after making a small incision in the abdominal region. Along with that, certain surgical instruments are also inserted and the procedure is then performed.
- Usually, the incisions are very small in the laparoscopic procedure when compared to the open procedure and hence, recovery is much faster in this case. Consult your doctor first.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Chirag Enclave, Delhi.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks?
- Swelling in the abdominal region
- Blood clot development in legs
- Bleeding after the procedure
An open or laparoscopic surgical procedure is performed for the treatment of colon cancer. It is the gold standard method of treatment for the early stages of colon cancer. It is a safe surgical procedure, while complications depend upon the overall health conditions and comorbidities of a patient.
It is usually done to treat stage 0 colon cancer that has not spread beyond the lining of the large intestine.
One should avoid food items that are high in fibre content or that may cause blockage of the large intestine. Avoid any other food items that may increase flatulence.
It is usually deemed normal to lose some weight after this surgery is performed.
Some general side effects include headache, nausea, confusion, abdominal pain, fatigue, constipation, diarrhoea, fever, etc.
DR NEERJA GUPTA
|Experience||:||12 Yeras Experience|
|Speciality||:||Breast Surgical Onco...||Location||:||Karol Bagh|
|Timings||:||Fri & Sat : 04:00 P...|