Cataract Surgery in Kondapur, Hyderabad
A cataract occurs when the clear lens of your eye becomes clouded. It is formed because the proteins in your eye form clumps. These clumps will prevent the lens from sending clear images to your retina.
Cataracts in the eyes will affect your vision. A cataract is common among old people. The more you grow old, the higher the chance of cataracts in your eye.
What is a cataract?
When the clear lens of your eye becomes clouded, it is called a cataract. You may experience blurry vision due to a cataract.
Some of the reasons for cataracts in your eye are excessive amounts of oxidants, smoking, diabetes, radiation therapy or certain medication.
What are the types of cataracts?
There are four types of cataracts;
Nuclear cataracts: This type of cataract affects the centre of your lens. With time, your lens will turn yellow and affect your vision.
Cortical Cataracts: In this type of cataract, the edges of your lens will be affected. As time progresses, the cataract will spread to the centre of your lens and may result in blurry vision.
Posterior subcapsular cataracts: This cataract affects the back of your lens. It will affect your vision and may cause halos around light.
Congenital Cataracts: Sometimes people are born with some cataracts, this is called congenital cataracts. This cataract does not usually affect your vision. If they are causing blurry vision, they may be removed by your doctor.
What are the symptoms of cataracts?
The signs and symptoms of cataracts include;
- You may suffer from vision loss or blurry vision
- You may find it difficult to see at night
- You may see halos around light
- You may see double vision
- You may experience sensitivity to light
- You may see colours faded
- Frequent need to change your prescribed glasses
What are the causes of cataracts?
The causes of cataracts include:
- Exposure to ultraviolet radiation can affect your lenses
- diabetes can also worsen cataract
- Smoking can trigger affect your clear lenses
- Radiation therapy affects your lens
- Excessive production of oxidants can also affect your lenses
- Using steroids and other medications for a long time can also contribute to cataract
When to see a doctor?
If you have blurry vision or seeing halos around light or facing difficulty seeing at night, you should book an appointment at the nearest eye clinic.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kondapur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
How can we prevent cataracts?
- It is vital to wear sunglasses when we go outside to protect our eyes from UVB rays.
- Avoid smoking
- It is important to maintain a healthy weight
- It is necessary to go for eye checkups frequently
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables to increase the level of antioxidants in your body
How to treat Cataracts?
If you do not want to go for surgery, your doctor may recommend stronger eyeglasses or sunglasses and other medications to treat the cataract.
If the cataract is hampering you from doing daily activities, your doctor at Apollo Kondapur will recommend you to go for surgery. Surgical methods are used to remove the cataract from your lens or replace the lens with an artificial lens.
Phacoemulsification: This is the most common type of cataract surgery which is performed under local anaesthesia. In this surgical procedure, your doctor will take the help of ultrasound waves to break your lens apart. Your doctor will then remove the tiny fragments of the lens.
Extracapsular surgery: In this surgery, your doctor will remove the cloudy part of your lens. He or she will place the natural lens with an artificial lens.
A cataract is a common eye condition. It is triggered by various factors like smoking, age or exposure to UV rays of the sun.
Cataract surgery is necessary to improve and restore your lost vision. It is important to take certain precautions to protect your eye from the harmful rays of the sun.
Yes, with time cataracts can grow and lead to vision loss.
Yes, cataracts can be cured with surgery and powerful eyeglasses.
No, cataract is not life-threatening but it can create an obstacle in your daily activities like reading, writing or walking. It will affect the quality of your life.