Sinus Infections Treatment in Kondapur, Hyderabad
Sinus is a common problem of the nasal passage. The connected hollow cavities in your skull are called sinuses.
It occurs when the connected system of hollow cavities around your nasal passage becomes inflamed. Sinus is triggered by many factors like allergy, cold or infection.
What is Sinusitis?
Sinus occurs when your nasal passage becomes inflamed. Sinuses are hollow cavities situated around the nasal passage, Sinuses can be acute or chronic. Acute sinusitis can last for a few days and heal on its own. But chronic sinusitis will last for a long time and may need medical attention.
What are the types of sinuses?
There are three types of sinuses.
This type of sinus will last for a short period. It is usually aggravated by viral infection or allergy. It usually lasts for one or two weeks.
The signs and symptoms of subacute sinusitis can last for three months. This sinus is also triggered by seasonal allergies and bacterial infections.
The signs and symptoms of chronic sinusitis can last for more than three months. This is also triggered by bacterial infections, seasonal allergies and nasal problems. Chronic sinusitis may need medical attention.
What are the symptoms of sinusitis?
The signs and symptoms of sinus include:
- Fever and fatigue
- Loss of smell
- Runny nose
- Bad breath
- Sore throat
- Difficulty while breathing
What are the causes of sinusitis?
The causes of sinus include:
- Infections in the respiratory tract may trigger sinus. Exposure to bacterial infections can thicken your sinus and block your mucus drainage.
- Seasonal allergies can also thicken and inflame your sinus.
- Nasal polyps (growth of tissues) have the potential to block your nasal passage.
- The structure of the nasal passage is also responsible for the sinus. A crooked septum can block the passage of the sinus.
When to see a doctor?
If you are having difficulty breathing, fever, loss of taste and smell or severe cough, you should seek help from your doctor.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kondapur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
How to prevent sinusitis?
- It is important to maintain good hygiene and wash your hands properly.
- Limit your contact with people suffering from cold, viral infections and seasonal allergies.
- Avoid smoking because it contains toxic substances which may trigger sinus
- It is vital to use a humidifier if your place is dry.
- Eat fruits and vegetables.
- You should take a flu vaccine every year
How to treat sinusitis?
Your doctor at Apollo Kondapur may recommend different treatments depending on the severity of the sinus. He or she will ask you to apply a damp cloth to your face and forehead to reduce the pain and discomfort from sinus pressure. Medications like guaifenesin can be used to thin the mucus.
To reduce headaches, your doctor may prescribe OTC medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen too.
If the condition of your sinus does not improve with time, you will need antibiotic treatment. Antibiotic treatments will reduce headaches, fever and runny nose.
Surgery can also be used to fix the crooked septum. It can also be used to clear the sinuses and remove nasal polyps.
Sinuses are common nasal conditions. Acute sinusitis can heal on its own but chronic sinusitis may need medical treatment. Sinus is triggered by allergy, infection, cold, smoking or structure of the nasal passage. It is important to maintain good hygiene and a nutritional diet to keep the problem of the sinus away.
Yes, the sinus can be prevented if you maintain good hygiene, proper diet and get flu shots yearly.
Sinus is not life-threatening. But chronic sinusitis may last for a longer period and can affect your life.
Yes, it is possible to cure the sinus. With proper medications like antibiotics and surgery, your sinus problems can easily be cured.