Fusion of joints Treatment & Diagnostics in Kondapur, Hyderabad
Fusion of joints
Arthritis is a condition that affects your joints. Age is one of the common factors which can worsen arthritis.
If your arthritis pain is becoming severe day by day, your doctor may recommend joint fusion surgery or fusion of joints surgery. In this procedure, your doctor will join the two bones of your joint. This will help to reduce pain. It is important to take care of arthritis pain because negligence can make the pain more severe and intense.
Joint fusion surgery can be conducted on the different joints of your body like ankle, spine, fingers, feet or thumb.
How is Fusion of joints surgery performed?
Before the surgery, your doctor may put you under general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia.
After the anaesthesia, your doctor will cut or skin (incision) around the affected joint of your body. And then, all the damaged tissues or cartilage will be removed from your joint. This will result in the fusing of your bones.
Your surgeon may also put a small fragment of bone between the ends of your joint. This bone will be carefully removed from your heel, pelvic bone or from below the knee. It may also be taken from a donor.
After placing the bone between the two ends of your joint, your surgeon will use screws, plates, rods or rods to seal the space within the joint. These are usually permanently placed in your body.
After closing the space between your joints, your surgeon at Apollo Kondapur will stitch the incision with the help of staples or sutures.
Once the surgery is done, you will not be able to move your joints because the two ends of your joints will become one bone. Your surgeon may recommend you to wear a brace or cast after the surgery. You may need the help of a walker, crutches or even a wheelchair to walk or move. Healing may take 12 weeks or more.
Physical therapy can help you after the surgery.
What are the benefits of fusion of joints surgery?
The benefits of fusion of joints surgery include:
- It will reduce the pain around the affected joints.
- Stiffness around the joints will decrease.
- You will be able to walk or run without any difficulty.
- You will be able to bear weights on your joint.
- It will help to make your joint stable.
What are the disadvantages of fusion of joints surgery?
The disadvantages of fusion of joints surgery include:
- You may experience pain around the joint after the surgery.
- Infection is also one of the common effects of surgery.
- You may notice blood clots around the surgical site.
- You may suffer from nerve damage.
- There is also a chance of breaking the metal plates, screws or wires.
- Bleeding from the wound may occur.
- You may experience arthritis pain in the nearby joints.
How to prepare for the fusion of joints surgery?
- Inform your doctor about the medications you are taking before the surgery.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol before the surgery.
- Do not smoke prior to the days of surgery.
- Your doctor may recommend a nutritional diet before the surgery.
- If you are taking blood thinner medicines, you should inform your doctor immediately.
Fusion of joints is a safe procedure. Don’t hesitate to speak to your doctor if you have more questions.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kondapur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
Joint fusion surgery is conducted under general anaesthesia or local anaesthesia. You may feel no pain during the surgery. After the surgery, you may experience pain and stiffness around the joints.
Studies say that surgery is the best to cure arthritis pain. It is a safe procedure to treat your joint pain.
Yes, joint fusion surgery is performed to treat severe arthritis pain. In this surgery, the two ends of your joint will be joined which will help to reduce the pain.