Urological endoscopy Procedure in Kondapur, Hyderabad
Urological endoscopy also known as cystoscopy is a procedure that lets the doctor examine your urethra and bladder. The procedure can be carried out at a hospital with local anaesthesia.
Why is urological endoscopy done?
This procedure helps to diagnose and treat conditions of the bladder and urethra. You may be advised of a urological endoscopy when;
- The doctor needs to know the causes of your symptoms- When you have symptoms like blood in the urine, incontinence, and pain while urinating, this endoscopy is done. It is also helpful to find the cause of recurrent UTIs.
- The doctor feels there is a bladder disease, such as bladder cancer, stones and cystitis.
- The doctor needs to treat bladder conditions. Some tools are used to remove tumours during the procedure.
- If there is an enlarged prostate, the urethral endoscopy can detect benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
What is the procedure of a urethral endoscopy?
It is usually performed in a hospital and the procedure is as follows;
- You are asked to remove any clothing, jewellery, or other objects that can interfere with the procedure.
- You are given a gown to wear during the endoscopic procedure
- Intravenous is given to you through your arm.
- You might be given anaesthesia and all your parameters are checked constantly.
- After that, you’re taken into the endoscopy room and made to lie down on your back.
- Anaesthetic gel is put inside your urethra to numb your area for the procedure.
- After that, the doctor will insert the scope into the urethra.
- The doctor will start to inspect your urethra now.
- The doctor at Apollo Kondapur will look into the bladder for any abnormalities. A biopsy may also be conducted.
What can you expect after the endoscopy?
You may be able to resume your daily life from the next day. There are some side effects of the endoscopy that you can look out for, such as;
- Bleeding in urine
- A burning sensation while urinating
- Frequent urination for some days
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Kondapur.
Call 1860 - 500 - 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the potential complications of Urological endoscopy?
Certain complications of urological endoscopy may include;
- An Infection- Although this is very rare but in some cases, the endoscopy may cause an infection in your urethra. Risk factors of UTI after endoscopy are old age and smoking.
- Bleeding in urine- It might cause bloody urine in some cases. Serious bleeding is rare. In case you have it, see your doctor immediately.
- Intensive pain- It is a possibility to have a lot of pain in your abdominal region. These symptoms are mostly mild and cure after some days.
What are the warning signs of a serious complication?
Immediately call your doctor in case you experience any of these;
- Not being able to urinate
- Blood clots in your urine
- Extreme abdominal pain
- High fever along with chills
- Pain or burning sensations during urination for more than 2-3 days
Urological endoscopy is a safe procedure. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask your doctor.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kondapur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
Not really, you might feel a little pain while inserting the scope.
It usually takes about 2 hours to complete the procedure.
It is mostly safe but there are some risks of complications associated with it such as Bleeding and infections.