Best Ankle Joint Replacement Surgery in Kondapur, Hyderabad
Ankle joint replacement is a surgical procedure performed for replacing an injured ankle joint with an artificial implant. Arthritis can cause deformity of your joint resulting in pain and inflammation. The surgery helps in reducing pain and swelling.
What Is Ankle Joint Replacement?
It is a procedure in which a surgical incision is made in the ankle to replace the damaged parts with an artificial graft. The surgery helps to improve the range of motion and reduces pain and swelling of the joint.
What Is The Procedure For Ankle Joint Replacement?
Your doctor at Apollo Kondapur will talk to you and will ask you to stop blood-thinning medicines before the procedure. Tell your doctor about the medicines that you take and also if you have a fever or any other health problems.
- Your doctor will order some tests like X-rays, CT scans, or MRI before the procedure to assess the condition of your ankle joint.
- You have to stop eating or drinking after midnight before your surgery.
- You will be given general anaesthesia so that you may not feel any pain or discomfort during the surgery.
- Your vital signs like blood pressure will be monitored during the surgery by your doctor.
- The doctor will clean the area and will make an incision through the skin of your ankle. The doctor will insert an artificial graft and will remove the damaged parts. He may also have to place a plastic piece to keep the metal pieces glide over each other.
- Finally, he will close the wound with stitches and sutures and cover it with a bandage.
What Are The Benefits Of Ankle Joint Replacement?
Ankle joint replacement has many benefits. Important benefits are:
- It increases the strength and stability of your ankle joint
- It improves the movement of your joint. You can walk normally
- It helps in reducing pain and you can live your life independently
What Are The Risks Of Ankle Joint Replacement?
In most cases, it is a successful treatment but in some cases, it may have some risks which include the following:
- Fusion of ankle bones that limits your range of motion
- Infection at the site of surgery
- Damage blood vessels like nerves, arteries, or veins
- Excessive bleeding at the site of surgery
- Blood clotting
- The bones may take a longer time to heal properly
- Bones are not aligned properly
- Other neighbouring joints may develop the symptoms of arthritis
- The artificial implant may become loose and you may need another surgery
- Difficulty in walking
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kondapur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
The risks vary from person to person as they depend on age and other medical problems. For example, people suffering from diabetes are at a greater risk of suffering from complications. Talk to your doctor about all concerns before making a final decision.
Who Is The Right Candidate For Ankle Joint Replacement?
Ankle joint replacement is a suitable choice in the following cases:
- If you have been suffering from severe arthritis
- If you have severe pain, swelling, stiffness, and inflammation in your ankle
- If you have difficulty walking
- In mild cases of arthritis, your doctor will recommend conservative treatments such as pain medications, physical therapy, etc. But, if such treatments do not give you any relief, he may think about ankle joint replacement.
Ankle joint replacement is a surgical treatment in which damaged tissues are replaced with artificial implants. This surgery helps to improve the range of motion and also reduces pain and swelling of the joint.
It will take about six weeks to recover from ankle joint replacement surgery. You have to use the crutches of a walker to move. You will need physical therapy for quick recovery after the surgery.
Your doctor will do a physical examination of your ankle joint. He will also take your personal and medical history. He will also perform imaging tests to assess the condition of your ankle joint.
You may have to stay for one day. You may be sent to a rehabilitation centre for physical therapy and you can go back home after physical therapy.