Erectile Dysfunction Treatment & Diagnostics in Chunni Ganj, Kanpur
Erectile dysfunction or impotence is a condition in which men are unable to get an erection or keep it firm enough for sex. This doesn’t mean that if you have erection trouble sometimes, then you have erectile dysfunction. This is an ongoing issue that can cause a lot of stress, contribute to relationship problems, and affect your self-confidence. If you have problems getting an erection or keeping it erect, it can be a sign of another health condition or a risk factor for heart disease.
Here are a few signs of erectile dysfunction:
- Unable to get an erection
- Unable to keep an erection
- Decreased sexual desire
When to see a doctor at Apollo Spectra, Kanpur?
If you are having erectile problems, you can talk to your family doctor. Here are some other cases when you should see a doctor:
- You have concerns regarding your erection
- You are experiencing sexual problems like delayed or premature ejaculation
- You have heart disease, diabetes, or some other health condition that is linked to erectile dysfunction.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kanpur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
Sexual arousal is a complicated process involving the brain, emotions, hormones, muscles, blood vessels, and nerves. A problem with any of these can result in erectile dysfunction. Mental health concerns and stress can also lead to this condition. In some cases, it is a combination of psychological and physical issues that causes erectile dysfunction. For instance, a small physical condition that leads to slowed sexual response can cause anxiety about maintaining an erection that will worsen your erectile dysfunction.
- Physical causes
- Atherosclerosis (clogged blood vessels)
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure and cholesterol
- Metabolic syndrome - a condition that involves high insulin levels, increased blood pressure, high cholesterol, and body fat on the waist
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Certain prescribed medications
- Peyronie’s disease (scar tissue development inside the penis)
- Tobacco use
- Sleep disorders
- Substance abuse like alcohol
- Treatment for enlarged prostate or prostate cancer
- Low testosterone
- Injuries or surgeries affecting the spinal cord or the pelvic area.
- Psychological causes
The brain triggers a series of events that result in an erection, which begins with feelings of sexual excitement. There are several things that can interfere with this and cause or worsen your erectile dysfunction. Here are some of such psychological causes:
- Anxiety, depression, or health mental health conditions
- Relationship problems
As you age, your erections might not be as firm and take longer to develop. Here are certain risk factors that can contribute to erectile dysfunction:
- Medical conditions - like heart conditions or diabetes.
- Tobacco use - It restricts the flow of blood to arteries or veins and can cause chronic health conditions.
- Being overweight.
- Medical treatments - like radiation treatment for cancer or prostate cancer.
- Injuries - especially if they damage the arteries or nerves controlling erections
- Medications - like antihistamines, antidepressants, or medications used for treating pain, prostate conditions, or high blood pressure.
Erectile dysfunction can lead to the following complications:
- Anxiety or stress
- Unsatisfactory sex life
- Relationship problems
- Low self-esteem or embarrassment
- Inability to make your partner pregnant
Depending on the severity and cause of your erectile dysfunction, there are several treatment options available:
- Oral medications
There are several oral medications that can treat erectile dysfunction successfully. It is important to remember that these medications won’t produce an erection automatically. You will still need sexual stimulation. These medications will amplify the signal and allow normal penile function.
- Penis pumps
Also known as a vacuum erection device, the penis pump is a hollow tube with a battery- or hand-powered pump. You have to place the tube over your penis and then use the pump for sucking the air out of the tube. This will create a vacuum pulling blood into the penis. After you get an erection, you can use a tension ring for holding in the blood and keeping it firm. Then, you can remove the vacuum device.
- Penile implants
In this treatment, implants are placed on both sides of your penis. There are two types of implants. The first one is the inflatable device that controls when and how long you can maintain an erection. The second one is malleable rods that keep your penis firm, yet bendable.
There have been some studies that found that moderate to vigorous aerobic activity can help improve erectile dysfunction.
- Psychological counselling
In case your erectile dysfunction is because of anxiety, stress, or depression, it is recommended that you visit a counsellor or a psychologist.
There are some steps you can take that will help with your condition:
- Quit smoking
- Lose excess weight
- Get treatment for substance abuse
- Work through your relationship issues
It is important that you reassure your partner that you don’t take their inability to have an erection as diminished sexual interest. Be open and honest with each other. If needed, seek couples counselling.