MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY Treatment & Diagnostics in Chunni Ganj, Kanpur
'Maxillo' is a Latin word that means 'jawbone' in English. Therefore, the word maxillofacial stands for jawbone and face. As the name suggests, maxillofacial has something to do with the front part of the face.
Maxillofacial surgery is a part of medical science that deals with treating the front face through surgical procedures.
What are the types of maxillofacial surgeries at Apollo Spectra, Kanpur?
Some of the common maxillofacial surgeries include:
- WISDOM TEETH MANAGEMENT AND EXTRACTION- the wisdom teeth do not erupt correctly for most people. The removal of wisdom teeth reduces the risks and threats to your oral health.
- FACIAL COSMETIC SURGERY- involves an aesthetic treatment that improves the physical appearance of your face, mouth, teeth, and jaws. Some of these treatments include nasal reconstruction, botox injections, lip filler injections, cosmetic chin, facelifts, etc.
- DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY.- a missing tooth can affect the appearance of your beautiful smile so, dental implant surgeries help fill those gaps in your smile. A metal screw replaces the root of the tooth, which provides a base for the artificial tooth. This artificial tooth will look and feel like a natural one.
- TMJ DISORDER AND FACIAL PAIN TREATMENT- you might need surgery to treat your TMJ pain and joint damage if conservative methods are not successful. Your surgeon will either do an arthroscopy or repair the damaged tissue through a surgical procedure.
- FACIAL INJURY AND TRAUMA SURGERY.- maxillofacial surgeries also include repairing and treating facial injuries and trauma including, fractures in the jaw and orbits surrounding the eyes.
- CLEFT LIP AND PALATE SURGERY- rebuilds jaw and facial structures to restore normal functions and appearance.
- ORAL, HEAD, AND NECK CANCER TREATMENTS.- maxillofacial surgeries include treatment of cancer of the head, neck, and mouth. It involves removing cancerous tissues and reconstruction of the surgical site to restore its functions and physical appearance.
- CORRECTIVE JAW SURGERY- is also known as orthognathic surgery. It involves restoration of the functions by correcting the teeth and jaw misalignment. Causes of this procedure are problems in chewing, speaking, gulping, and breathing. Treating sleep apnea and improving your bite's appearance can be other reasons for this surgery.
When to see a doctor for maxillofacial surgery?
You might want to see your dentist if your teeth have been persistently bothering you and the pain has become unbearable. Your dentist will examine your teeth' health and then refer you to a maxillofacial surgeon accordingly.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kanpur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
What are the benefits of maxillofacial surgery?
Some benefits of maxillofacial surgery include:
- Chewing- maxillofacial surgery corrects your misaligned jaw that creates a problem in chewing and gulping food.
- Joint pain- if you have a misaligned jaw and experience chronic pain, then maxillofacial surgery may help you get relief from this pain.
- Headaches- in most cases, a misalignment in the jaw can cause headaches and pain. Therefore, jaw surgery helps you get relief from pain.
- Sleeping- if your jaw protrudes outward or recesses inward, you are a mouth breather and may experience problems with breathing and sleeping. Maxillofacial surgery can help you get relief from this problem. It will help you get proper sleep.
- Speech- maxillofacial surgery corrects your misaligned teeth that affect speech. It is an essential topic to focus on, especially in children as they learn how to speak.
You might have been with problems on your face, mouth, teeth, and head, but you don't have to live with it. Several measures can help you get an aesthetic look. An early visit to the doctor can save your condition from getting more severe.
Ideally, you should limit your activities for the first two days. Avoid strenuous activities to allow your mouth to recover. Most patients can return to their desk-type job after 3-4 days after surgery. You might continue experiencing swelling and tenderness till 7-10 days.
95% of the time, dental implants are not likely to fail. It is because dental implants are composed of a safe, biocompatible material called titanium.
If the treatment suggests extraction of all four wisdom teeth, it is best to do it in one go under sedation. It reduces surgical anxiety and inflammation with immediate recovery.