Gastric Banding Treatment & Diagnostics in Chunni Ganj, Kanpur
Obesity can be harmful. If a person continues to gain weight, they will eventually become obese and face serious health issues such as heart problems and high blood pressure. These problems can be life-threatening. In extreme cases like this, gastric banding surgery at Apollo Spectra, Kanpur, is the best option.
What is Gastric Banding?
At Apollo Spectra, Kanpur, gastric banding is a surgical procedure performed to help people lose weight. It is a permanent cure for obesity. In this surgery, an adjustable band is surgically placed around the stomach of a person. This makes the stomach pouch smaller and allows the patient to consume less food.
Why is Gastric Banding Done?
Not everyone who is overweight is the right candidate for gastric banding in Kanpur. According to doctors, only people with a body mass index (BMI) of thirty-five or higher, should go for gastric banding surgery. Obese people who are suffering from serious health issues due to obesity should also consider gastric banding surgery. Dieting and exercise can also help with weight loss, but for highly obese people, gastric banding could be a permanent solution.
What are the Benefits of Gastric Banding?
Gastric banding can help a person in the following ways:
- Obese people can lose weight permanently.
- This surgery has a shorter recovery period than other surgeries.
- Following surgery, the risk of infection or hernia is reduced.
- The risk of other problems related to obesity, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and urinary incontinence, becomes low.
- Nutrient absorption is not compromised.
- There is a major improvement in lifestyle.
What are the Possible Side Effects and Complications Related to Gastric Banding?
These are the possible risks and side effects or complications related to a gastric banding surgery:
- The band can move or slip.
- Erosion of the band into the stomach could occur.
- Injury can occur in other abdominal organs during the surgery.
- An infection could occur due to the wound.
- The stomach lining can get inflamed.
- Nutritional intake may suffer as a result of decreased stomach size.
- A hernia could occur as another side effect.
All of these are temporary side effects and do not cause any permanent damage. If you face any of these side effects, then you should contact a healthcare professional immediately.
What should you Eat After Gastric Banding?
The diet that an individual should follow after having gastric banding surgery is as follows:
- During the first few days after the surgery, the patient should consume only water and fluids such as soups.
- Up to one month after the surgery, the patient can only consume fluids and blended food such as pureed vegetables, fruits, or yogurt.
- One month post their surgery, patients can start consuming soft foods, for up to two weeks.
- Six weeks after their surgery, the patient can resume their usual diet.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kanpur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
Gastric banding is an expensive surgery and is not affordable for everyone. But in severe cases of obesity, when a person faces serious health issues, they should get gastric banding surgery done after consulting a healthcare professional. It is a permanent solution for weight loss.
After having gastric banding surgery, an individual can lose up to two pounds per week. At this rate, a person can lose up to 25 to 50 pounds within six months.
After having gastric banding surgery, the patient will need complete rest for at least two weeks. Generally, recovery takes place within two to three weeks. Full recovery can take up to six weeks. But most patients can go back to work, two to three weeks after gastric banding surgery.
The cost of gastric banding is really high in India. It is equivalent to 10,000 USD and can go up to 16,000 USD. This amount is equal to 7.4 lakh rupees and more. People with insurance will have to spend less on this surgery
Yes, gastric band surgeries are permanent. Once a gastric band is placed around the stomach, it stays there forever.