Total Elbow Replacement Surgery in Chunni-ganj, Kanpur
Arthritis is a degenerative disease. This means that it damages bones and the bone and joint conditions deteriorate when a person suffers from arthritis. Arthritis can occur in old people and young people. Sometimes, the elbow joint area gets too affected by any form of arthritis. When any treatment stops working in case of severe arthritis, surgery helps. Keep reading this article to find out more about total elbow replacement surgery done at Apollo Spectra, Kanpur.
What is a Total Elbow Replacement Surgery
Total elbow replacement surgery, also known as total elbow arthroscopy (TEA) is a procedure performed at Apollo Spectra, Kanpur, to remove damaged portions of the radius, ulna, or elbow joint. These parts are replaced with prosthetic bones and joints. Elbow replacement surgery is not as common as knee or hip replacement surgeries. But they are successful in relieving joint pain and returning elbow functionality to normal.
In What Kinds of Medical Situation is a Total Elbow Replacement Surgery Required?
After knowing the basics, let us learn about the situations that require total elbow replacement surgery or elbow arthroscopy.
- Rheumatoid arthritis- Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease that generally occurs in young adults and middle-aged people. This is caused by the chronic inflammation of the synovial membrane that surrounds joints. This inflammation ultimately causes pain, stiffness and leads to loss of cartilage. This is also known as inflammatory arthritis.
- Osteoarthritis- This is the degenerative type of arthritis. This occurs due to old age. It also has a slim chance of occurring in younger people. In this type of arthritis, due to age, the cartilage that acts as a cushion between joints starts to wear away. Due to this, the bones rub against each other and cause pain and stiffness.
- Severe fracture- Sometimes, due to accidents, a person can acquire a severe fracture in the elbow. These fractures might not be curable through plaster and medicine. That is when elbow replacement surgery is required.
- Post-traumatic arthritis- Sometimes, due to past injuries, ligaments and cartilages start to deteriorate over time. This can be another requirement for an elbow replacement surgery.
If any of these conditions become severe, you should contact a healthcare professional.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Kanpur
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
What is the Procedure of a Total Elbow Replacement Surgery?
The procedure for a total elbow replacement surgery is as follows:
- General or local anesthesia is performed to numb the senses before the surgery.
- The vitals are checked such as blood pressure and blood flow.
- Incisions are made on the skin according to the positions of the joints.
- Tendons and tissues are moved away carefully without causing any damage to expose the bone.
- The damaged parts of the bone and joints are removed with the help of surgical instruments.
- These parts are replaced with metal, plastic, or carbon-coated materials.
- The necessary repairs are made.
The Possible Risks and Complications Involved with Total Elbow Replacement Surgery
The possible risks and complications or side effects involved with total elbow replacement are as follows:
- Elbow infection
- Implant problems
- Wound healing problems
- Nerve injury
All of these conditions and side effects are temporary and curable. If you face any of these problems, you should contact a healthcare professional immediately.
Any problem related to bone should never be neglected. You should immediately contact a healthcare professional at the first symptoms of joint pain and stiffness or if you have a severe fracture in your elbow. They will give you the best solutions possible. If necessary, they will refer you to a good surgeon.
After you have your replacement surgery, the replacement will last up to 10 years without causing an individual any trouble. After 10 years, the replacement will start to loosen or wear out. An individual might need a second surgery then.
The cost of a total elbow replacement surgery in India is equivalent to 6500 USD to 7000 USD.
Till a year after the surgery, the patient should avoid lifting heavy objects. After complete recovery, the patients should not lift anything above 7 pounds.