Best Adenoidectomy Treatment & Diagnostics in Koramangala, Bangalore
Adenoids are the glands located above the roof of the mouth and behind the nose that form a vital part of the immune system. These glands help in protecting our body from viruses and bacteria. They look like a lump of tissue and have an important function in young children.
You can consult adenoidectomy doctors Bangalore.
What do you need to know about adenoidectomy?
Adenoidectomy is the surgery performed to remove the adenoids when they become extra swollen or enlarged due to infections or allergies. Enlarged adenoids pose many problems like blockage of a child’s airway and ear infections. In children, enlarged adenoids may block the Eustachian tubes, which drain fluid from the ears into the throat. If these tubes are unable to drain, it can lead to repeated ear infections. It may also result in sinus infections, nasal congestion and hearing loss. So, in extreme cases, one has no option but to go for surgery to remove these glands. To seek treatment, you can search for ‘adenoidectomy near me’ online.
What are the symptoms?
If you notice that the adenoids of your child are enlarged or swollen, he or she may need an adenoidectomy.
What are the causes of enlarged adenoids?
Some children may have swollen or enlarged adenoids right from birth. Normally, these glands can grow in size because of some allergy or chronic infection.
When do you need to see a doctor?
If your child is facing breathing problems or chronic sinus infections, then you must consult your doctor. The doctor would then examine your child’s adenoids through X-ray or with a small camera (Endoscopy). If the doctor feels the need for surgery, he/she would suggest adenoidectomy.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Hospitals at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks associated with adenoidectomy?
There are some risks associated with this surgery. They include the following:
- The surgery may cause permanent changes in the vocals.
- It may cause infections.
- It may result in excessive bleeding and further complications.
- Failure in resolving the sinus infections and nasal congestions.
What is the procedure followed in adenoidectomy?
The following steps would be followed :
- First, your child would be given general anesthesia.
- Then the surgeon will open your child’s mouth widely with the help of a retractor.
- Then he/she will remove the adenoids by using a curette or any other device that helps the surgeon to cut the tissue without any complications. It may cause bleeding. The surgeon might use an electrical device to stop the bleeding. This method is called electrocautery.
- Some surgeons may use radiofrequency energy to stop bleeding. This is known as coblation. He/she may also use a cutting tool known as debrider to remove the adenoids. Further, some absorbent materials may also be used to control bleeding.
- Then your child would be taken to the recovery room until he or she normalizes. In most cases, children can move back to their home on the day of the surgery itself.
- This is the basic procedure followed in any adenoidectomy hospital in Koramangala.
Adenoids are a common problem in children. You must consult your doctor and follow his or her advice to a tee. After the surgery, you should take utmost care of your child. The fluid intake should be maximized.
There can be various side effects:
- Bleeding at the surgery site
- Nose block
- Ear and throat pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Breathing difficulties
Yes, this surgery is safe and usually healthy children do not face any complications.
In most cases, a child goes home on the same day of the surgery. Complete recovery takes one or two weeks at the most.
This is very rare in adults but the adenoids may get enlarged in adults due to infection or allergy or smoking habits. This may also happen due to cancerous tumours.
Yes, when the tonsils or the adenoids get enlarged, speech may be harmed. And this problem might continue till the swelling is there.