Excision of tumors Treatment in Koramangala, Bangalore
Excision of tumors is a surgical process for removing tumors from a particular location on the body. A tumor is an abnormal cell growth, usually in the form of a lump, which can lead to cancer.
You can get excision of tumors treatment in Bangalore. Or you can search online for an excision od tumors doctors near me.
What do you need to know about excision of tumors?
Tumors are broadly divided into benign tumors and malignant tumors. Benign tumors are noncancerous with a slow growth rate, however malignant tumors are cancerous, grow very rapidly, harm the nearby normal tissues and spread throughout the body. With either type of tumor, the best possible treatment is tumor surgery, also known as excision of tumor.
So, how are tumors diagnosed before excision?
Your doctor examines you physically and focuses on your symptoms and medical history. To know more details about the tumor, few tests are done, namely:
- Computed tomography scan (CT scan): CT scan provides a 3D image of the tumor. This helps in diagnosis as well as in planning of treatment. It also helps in guiding tumor surgery, if required.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): As the name suggests, MRI uses a magnetic field, radio waves and latest computer technology to develop a detailed image, which is examined afterwards.
- X-Ray: The first test used for determination of a tumor is an X-ray, also known as radiograph. It uses the theory that a tumor tissue absorbs radiation differently than a normal tissue and hence discloses any issue or illness.
- Nuclear medicine testing: These imaging studies include the whole-body bone scans, PET scans, etc., where the body is scanned for presence of any abnormal tissue or tumor.
- Biopsy: Biopsy directly uses a tissue sample to analyze a tumor. Usually an anesthetic is used for biopsy.
- Blood tests: Blood tests are routine.
What are the types of tumor treatment?
There are basically two types of treatments for tumors - surgical and non-surgical treatment.
Non-surgical tumor treatment includes chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Chemotherapy uses specific medicines to kill the tumor cells that are spreading in the body whereas radiation therapy uses X-rays to shrink the cancerous cells and kill it.
Surgical tumor treatment is used mostly for malignant tumors as they can spread to the nearby body parts. It is also used for benign tumors as they can also sometimes turn into malignant tumors. Most of the time, the surgeries are used with radiation and chemical therapies to lower the risk of cancer spreading or returning.
Excision of tumors and cancer surgeries
Surgery is generally the main procedure to treat tumors that are contained in a specific position. The success of the tumor surgery depends upon its size and location.
- For smaller tumors: Minimally invasive surgery like keyhole laparoscopic surgery is the best option for excision of small tumors. Surgeons insert a thin-lighted tube with a mini camera (laparoscope), which lets them monitor the internal organ. Other surgical tools are then used via other incisions for removal of tumor. Patients generally recover more quickly from this technique than from traditional surgery.
- For larger and metastatic tumors: For larger tumors, a part of the organ is needed to be removed, along with the other part where the tumor has spread. Surgeons also go for neoadjuvant treatment for larger and metastatic tumors, where a targeted drug is given to a patient for several months which shrinks the tumor. The shrinked tumor can then be easily removed by surgery.
You can get such excision of tumors treatment in Koramangala as well.
When should you visit a medical oncologist?
Usually a person visits a general physician at first. If a physician feels that a patient has a tumor or cancer, he/she then refers the patient to an oncologist. An oncologist then helps the patient to understand the diagnosis and the treatment plan. Based upon the type of cancer, a patient is referred to certain oncologists. Broadly they are categorised into:
- Medical oncologists: They use chemotherapy, targeted therapy, immunotherapy and hormone therapy to treat cancer.
- Radiation oncologist: They use radiation therapy for cancer treatment.
- Surgical oncologist: They perform surgeries, traditional or minimally invasive, to treat cancer.
There are also other types of oncologists who deal with certain specific types of cancers. For example, gynecologic oncologists treat cervical cancers, ovarian cancers and uterine cancers; pediatric oncologists treat cancers in children; hematologist oncologists treat lymphoma, leukemia, myeloma etc.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks?
- Weight loss and fatigue
- Hair loss
- Breathing issues
- Nausea and vomiting
- Diarrhea or constipation
- Chemical changes in the body
- Usual immune reaction
Tumors can be benign too. So, do not panic. Consult your doctors, take medical tests and know the pros and cons of excision of tumors.
No. A tumor does not necessarily mean having cancer.
Yes. Cancer can return and spread. It is one of the complications you may face after tumor treatment.
The chance of recovery has increased with the development of modern treatment plans. It also depends upon the location of the tumor and its size, among other things.