Saddle Nose Deformity Treatment in Koramangala, Bangalore
Abnormalities in the appearance and structure of your nose can cause conditions like difficulty in breathing, chronic sinusitis and snoring. These conditions are relatively common and most of them are aesthetic anomalies.
What are nasal deformities?
They are irregularities in the shape and function of the nose. In cases where nasal deformities cause health and wellness issues like breathing issues, treatment beyond cosmetic correction will be required.
To seek treatment, you can visit an ENT hospital in Bangalore. Or you can search online for an ENT specialist near me.
What are the types of nasal deformities?
Some of the most common types of nasal deformities are:
- Deviated septum, where the cartilage dividing the nostrils are bent to one side.
- Enlarged adenoids are enlarged lymph nodes at the back of the nose that can block airways and cause sleep apnea.
- Saddle nose or boxer’s nose, in which certain diseases, cocaine abuse or trauma can cause depression in a part of the nose bridge.
- A nasal hump is formed due to excess bone or cartilage. The condition can be genetic or caused by trauma to the nose.
What are the symptoms of nasal deformities?
The possible symptoms due to nasal deformities are:
- Nosebleeds due to the dried up nose surface
- Blockage of one or both nostrils can lead to difficulty in breathing especially when you have an allergy or cold
- Facial pain
- Loud breathing during sleep, caused by inflamed tissue inside the nose
- Sinus issues
- Physical deformity of the nose
What are the common causes of nasal deformities?
Most nasal deformities are congenital and are present at birth. Deviated septum, cleft lip or a mass on the nose are most often present since birth.
Other causes for nasal deformities are prior nasal surgery, trauma to the nose and weakening of nasal structure due to ageing.
When do you need to see a doctor?
Nasal deformities can be inherited or are developmental in nature. The abnormalities caused can be external or internal. If your quality of life is affected by a cosmetic or functional deformity, consult a doctor or specialist. While the external appearance of your nose can have an impact on your self-confidence, functional issues can be more problematic especially when you're sleeping. In these sort of situations, it is best to book an appointment with your physician or an ENT specialist.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the recommended treatments for nasal deformities?
The symptoms are most often managed and controlled with medications like analgesics, decongestants and antihistamines.
If you are looking for a permanent solution, it will require a surgical procedure. Common surgical options to treat nasal deformities are:
- Rhinoplasty, reshapes the nose
- Septoplasty, to straighten the cartilage between nostrils
- Closed reduction, to repair broken nose within a week of trauma without surgery
Due to the functional and cosmetic nature of the surgery, the surgical team will consist of a plastic surgeon, an otolaryngologist and other multidisciplinary surgeons. In most cases, you will be discharged on the same day and marked improvement will be seen in about 3-4 months.
Nasal surgeries are one of the most common ENT procedures. You can choose to have nasal surgeries for a variety of reasons ranging from fixing injuries and breathing issues to correcting the physical shape and appearance of your nose. As with any voluntary treatment or procedure, you must make a well-informed decision in consultation with your doctor.
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia and takes about 1-2 hours depending on the severity of your condition. You will need a plaster or splint to restrict the movement of the bones and cartilage after surgery. Be prepared to take a week or 10 days off from work to heal properly. There could be internal and external bruising and swelling which will disappear within a week. Avoid contact sports, blowing your nose and smoking during the recovery period while following all the instructions given by your doctors.
Bleeding, infection, nasal obstruction, numbness, change in taste and smell and scarring are some of the possible but rare complications from nasal surgeries.
Procedures like rhinoplasty are often chosen to correct the structural deformity of your nose that could affect your appearance or cause medical issues like troubled breathing. The obvious benefits of the procedures are:
- Boost in self-confidence
- Resolves breathing issues
- Helps cure conditions like sleep apnea and sinus problems
- Correct birth defects or injuries