IOL surgery Treatment in Koramangala, Bangalore
An intraocular lens surgery or IOL is a surgical procedure performed to fix cataracts. It is a simple procedure to correct blurry vision and can help you see clearly. It involves replacement of the lens of your eye to remove the cataract. You can visit an IOL surgery hospital in Bangalore to undergo this treatment.
What do we need to know about IOL surgery?
A cataract is a condition where the natural lenses of your eyes get dense or cloudy. The cloudiness makes it difficult for a person to see or read.
Through an intraocular lens surgery, the natural lenses of your eyes are replaced with artificial lenses to correct vision.
Various types of intraocular lens are:
- Monofocal IOL
This is the most common type of IOL implant. Our eyes can stretch to help us focus. However, a monofocal implant remains focused at a single distance.
- Multifocal Implant
Like a progressive or bifocal lens, this implant helps us see things at different distances. It may take some time for your brain to adjust to the new lenses after implant and it can lead to more halos or glares.
- Toric IOL
If you have an eye or cornea that is more oval than round, you may have a condition called astigmatism. This condition can make your vision blurry and dim. A toric implant can help in reducing astigmatism and ensure that you don't require reading glasses after surgery.
You can visit an IOL surgery hospital in Bangalore to know more about the lenses.
What are the symptoms of cataract?
Symptoms of cataract include:
- Blurry or clouded vision
- Inability to see at night
- Increased sensitivity to light and glare
- Frequent changes in the contact lens or eyeglass number
- Seeing 'halos' around light
- Double vision or dim vision in one eye
- Requirement of brighter light to read and perform different activities
- Fading of colours
In the beginning, you might not notice any symptoms if the cataract is affecting a small portion of your eye. However, as the cataract grows, it will distort the light hitting the lens and you will start experiencing vision loss.
If you notice any mild symptoms of cataract, schedule an appointment with an IOL surgery doctor in Koramangala at the earliest.
What are the causes of IOL surgery?
Intraocular lens surgery is performed by an ophthalmologist when cataract begins to blur or distort your vision. Some of the common reasons are:
- Overproduction of oxidants that may alter vision
- Long-term use of steroids
- Trauma or injury
- Undergoing radiation therapy
When do you need to see a doctor?
You need to visit a doctor for an eye exam if you notice any changes in your vision. If you suddenly begin experiencing double vision, light flashes, eye pain or headache, visit the best IOL surgery specialist in Bangalore for treatment.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risks involved in the surgery?
Intraocular lens surgery is a safe procedure and rarely leads to any complications. However, some of the risks that are involved in this surgery are:
- Infection in the eye
- Loss of vision
- Dislocation of the implant
- Detaching of the retina due to the separation of the nerve cells from the back of your eye
How is cataract treated through the surgery?
The surgery takes place at a hospital or an outpatient clinic. Before your surgery, the doctor will do the following:
- Conduct an eye exam and measure your eye. This will help them in selecting the best implant.
- Give you medicated eye drops and ask you to stop taking any medicines or wear contact lenses a few days before the surgery.
On the day of the surgery, expect these steps:
- The doctor will begin by numbing your eye and giving you medications to relax.
- He will then make a small cut in your cornea to get the lens. He will break the lens and remove it bit by bit.
- Once the lens is removed, the implant will be placed in your eye.
The doctor will let the cut heal by itself without any stitches. The procedure will take about 1 or 2 hours and will take a few weeks to heal completely.
Intraocular lens surgery is one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures. It is the best surgical method to remove cataracts. It is also safe and rarely leads to any complications.Consult your eye surgeon if you have any doubts before the surgery and go for an eye exam regularly after surgery to maintain your vision.
No. In most cases, the surgery uses local anesthetic and is performed by a trained eye surgeon. Visit the best IOL surgery specialist in Bangalore for a pain-free transplant.
Yes, Several measures may help prevent cataracts. They are:
- Wear sunglasses when outside
- Quit smoking
- Consume fruits that are rich in antioxidants
- Go for regular eye exams
Schedule an appointment with an IOL surgery hospital near you to get tested for cataracts as early as possible.
Yes. If you experience any issue with your IOL, it can be easily replaced with another one. Visit an IOL surgery hospital in Koramangala, if you wish to replace your previous IOL implant.