Hernia Surgery in Koramangala, Bangalore
You suffer from hernia when an organ or a tissue in the body bulges out through a weak spot in the abdominal muscles. In fact, most of the hernias occur in the abdominal region.
There can be several causes and symptoms of hernia, but you can get rid of them with the help of a simple surgery. You can search for general surgery hospitals in Bangalore for hernia treatment.
What are the basic things we need to know about hernia?
Hernia occurs when an internal part of the body protrudes from the walls of the muscles. It can be in the abdominal region or any other region between your chest and hips.
Some hernias may even occur in your thighs or the groin area. Most hernias are not dangerous, but they do not go away on their own. You may need to consult a general surgeon in Bangalore and get the surgery done.
What are the different types of hernia?
- Inguinal Hernia: In this case, the intestine pushes through a weak spot in the abdominal wall. It is the most common type of hernia found in the inguinal canal.
- Hiatal Hernia: In this case, the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm in the chest cavity.
- Umbilical Hernia: The intestine bulges out through the abdominal wall near the belly button in this type of hernia. It is common in babies and goes away by the time they are one or two years old.
- Ventral Hernia: In this type, the tissue bulges out through an opening in the muscles of the abdomen.
What are the symptoms of hernia?
Here are a few common ones that you may witness:
- In case of hiatal hernia, you may experience heartburn, difficulty while swallowing, chest pain or vomiting.
- In case of an umbilical hernia, you may feel swelling near the belly button. You may also experience discomfort in the abdominal area.
- In case of an inguinal hernia, you may experience a bulge in the area near the pubic bone, dragging sensation in the abdomen and weakness in the groin area.
- In case of a ventral hernia, you may experience a bulge in the abdomen that disappears when you lie down.
If any of these symptoms occur, consult a general surgeon near you.
What are the causes of hernia?
- Damage from a surgery
- Strenuous exercises
- Pregnancy, especially multiple pregnancies
- Being overweight
When do you need to see a doctor?
You may need to see a doctor when you notice a bulge in your abdominal area or pubic bone. These bugles are more prominent when you stand up. You can also feel them if you place your hand on the affected area.
When the bulge on the affected area turns purple or darker in color, you should seek help immediately.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244to book an appointment.
What are the possible risk factors and complications?
A few things can increase the chances of a person getting hernia. They include:
- Older people are at a higher risk of getting hernias as muscles become weaker with old age
- Family history, if someone has had a hernia in your family, you have higher chances of suffering it
- Chronic constipation
- Chronic cough
- Men are at a higher risk of suffering from hernia
If left untreated, hernia can cause a few complications. They are as follows:
- Swelling and pain in surrounding areas
- In men, the hernia can extend into the scrotum
- Severe pain
- Incarceration, which a condition in which a portion of the intestine gets trapped in the abdominal wall, and it can obstruct bowel movement and make it difficult to pass gas
- An incarcerated hernia can cut off blood flow to the intestines, also known as strangulation
What are the treatment options for hernia?
If hernia is not that serious, your doctor may ask for watchful waiting. A supportive truss can be helpful, but you should always consult a doctor before using it.
There are two types of surgery that a doctor can suggest. They are:
- Open Surgery
After using general anesthesia, the doctor will make an incision and push the protruding tissue inside. The doctor will then sew the site of the incision with the help of a synthetic mesh.
- Laparoscopic Repair
After general anesthesia, the doctor inflates your stomach to use a laparoscope with ease. They make incisions to insert the laparoscope, and with its help, the doctor inserts other instruments through small incisions.
This procedure is more comfortable, but leaves behind small scars that heal within a short time. It is a good option for people who have hernias on both sides of their bodies.
Hernias are not that noticeable, but it is essential to get proper treatment and guidance if you have them. This way, you know what to do to get rid of hernia before it gets serious and starts causing other problems.
The removal of hernia is a simple procedure that isn't very painful. With the supervision of a doctor and adherence to instruction, you can recover smoothly.
Hernias are quite common and can affect people of any age.
Our Patient Speaks
My name is J. C. Prakash. I was referred to Apollo Spectra by my Doctor. I am grateful for his advice as Apollo helped me recover quickly and effectively. It does not even feel like a hospital, with the kind of atmosphere that is created for the patients. I was thoroughly pleased with my experience here and would recommend it to others for sure.
J. C. Prakash
General and Laproscopic Surgery
I would like to give my feedback on my post single inserliis surgery of hernia as well as gall bladder removal at Apollo. I hereby give my consent for uploading by feedback on Apollo website for beneficial to other patients and help them in setting confidence in the surgery.
General and Laproscopic Surgery