Deviated Septum Surgery in Koramangala, Bangalore
A deviated septum occurs when the thin tissue wall in the middle of your nose is displaced from the center. Most people are unaware of such a condition except when they experience certain complications like difficulty in breathing, congestion and sinus infection. This can be treated by consulting a deviated septum specialist in Koramangala or Bangalore.
What do we need to know about a deviated septum?
The cartilage and bone that segregate the nasal cavity into two parts are known as the nasal septum. When this thin wall in between the nasal passages gets shifted to one side it is called a deviated septum. If your deviated septum is not creating any complication, you need not require medical attention. But if you are experiencing any problem, get in touch with deviated septum doctors in Koramangala.
What are the symptoms of a deviated septum?
The most common symptom of a deviated septum is blockage of one side of the nasal cavity causing difficulty in breathing. Other symptoms associated with such a condition include:
- Dryness of the nasal septum leading to nosebleed
- Pain on the face or headache
- Noisy breathing while sleeping, especially in teenagers and infants
- Breathing through the mouth during sleep in adults
- Mucus flow behind the nose
- Sinus infections
If you do not have a severely deviated septum, you will observe these symptoms only when you have a cold. Talk to deviated septum doctors in Koramangala to know about the treatment options.
What are the causes of a deviated septum?
There are mainly two causes of a deviated septum.
- Sometimes a deviated septum is congenital, which means that you were born with it.
- Another cause is nasal trauma, i.e. when you get hit in the nose causing the septum to deviate from the center.
For the best deviated septum treatment in Bangalore, consult specialists in your locality or search online for ‘deviated septum doctors near me.’
When do you need to see a doctor?
While most cases of a deviated septum mandate no medical attention, you need to consult a deviated septum specialist in Bangalore if you experience any of the following conditions:
- Frequent nose bleeding
- Recurring infections of the sinus
- Blocked nostrils that do not respond to medication
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the risk factors associated with a deviated septum?
The following factors can increase the risk of getting a deviated septum:
- Playing any sport that requires physical contact, such as rugby and wrestling.
- Not wearing a helmet or a seat belt while riding any motorized vehicle.
What are the complications associated with a deviated septum?
An extremely deviated septum can cause your nasal passage to get blocked by obstructing the normal flow of air. This can lead to the following:
- Dryness of the mouth due to continuous mouth breathing
- Disturbed sleep at night due to chronic breathing through the mouth instead of the nose
- A feeling of congestion or pressure on the nasal passages
What are the treatment options for a deviated septum?
To know about the treatment options for your deviated septum, consult your primary healthcare provider or otolaryngologist or an ENT specialist. You can also get in touch with a deviated septum hospital in Bangalore for a suitable treatment option.
The initial treatment may be targeted at managing the symptoms through the use of:
- Decongestants for reducing any nasal tissue swelling
- Nasal sprays help in clearing out any blockages to the nasal passage
- Antihistamines for preventing any allergic symptoms, such as a runny or stuffy nose
While such medications can correct any swelling of the mucous membrane, they will not correct the deviated septum. For that, you will need to undergo the following treatments:
- Surgical repair: Or septoplasty. It is a common medical treatment for repairing a deviated septum. This treatment helps in bringing the septum to its correct position.
- Reshaping the nose: Also known as rhinoplasty. It helps in modifying the cartilage and bone of the nose to correct the nose size and shape.
Around 80 percent of people have deviated septums which may not show any symptom. But if you experience any difficulty, it is better to consult deviated septum doctors in Bangalore or Koramangala.
If basic medical treatment is not sufficient to control the complications associated with a deviated septum, then the intervention of an ENT specialist becomes necessary. Only an ENT specialist can resolve such an issue through suitable surgical treatment.
Before visiting an ENT specialist, note down certain information in advance which can help you in your consultation with the doctor.
- For how long have you been experiencing the problem?
- Whether you had a history of allergy or facial injury
- Whether using a nasal adhesive strip provides relief
- If you are presently taking any prescription medication
If a deviated septum is left untreated, it may lead to severe complications like sleep apnea in the future. In this medical condition, a person temporarily stops breathing during sleep.