Total Elbow Replacement Surgery in Koramangala, Bangalore
The elbow is a joint which is made up of three bones: the humerus, the ulna and the radius. Total elbow replacement surgery is performed when there is damage to your humerus or your ulna and requires putting in metal components.
Total elbow replacement is not as common as hip replacement or knee replacement but it is still performed. After the surgery is done, pain medication and physical therapy can get you up and moving in no time!
To seek treatment, you can visit an orthopedic hospital in Bangalore. Or you can search online for an orthopedic surgeon near me.
What do we need to know about total elbow replacement?
Total elbow replacement or total elbow arthroplasty is done when the bones in the elbow - the humerus and the ulna - are damaged and need replacement. Different factors such as fractures and rheumatoid arthritis can cause a lot of pain and discomfort.
The surgery is a simple procedure that requires a surgeon to put in artificial components made of metal or plastic in your elbow. Pain medication and physical therapy will make post-operative recovery faster and easier.
What are the causes that lead to total elbow replacement?
Many factors cause a lot of discomfort in your elbow and may require total elbow replacement. They are:
- Rheumatoid arthritis - This is a type of arthritis where the synovial fluid that surrounds your joints and keeps them moving becomes very thick. The inflamed fluid makes movement very painful and causes a lot of discomfort.
- Osteoarthritis - This is a type of arthritis where the cartilage that surrounds the bone becomes thinner and starts tearing. It causes the bones to grind against each other and cause friction. It is common in people aged 50 years or above.
- Fractures - When the bones in the elbow are fractured and cannot be put back together which causes a disruption in the blood supply to the bones, then a total elbow replacement is the best treatment option.
When do you need to see a doctor?
It is time to go and see your doctor if you experience any of the following symptoms:
- If you have any difficulty in breathing
- Chest constrictions
- Extreme pain not cured by pain medication
- Pus or infection at the sight of your surgery
- Numbness in your elbow or arm
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the complications from total elbow replacement?
Some of the complications associated with total elbow replacement surgery are:
- Blood clot
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Nerve injury during the surgery
What can we expect after the surgery?
After the operation is done, your doctor will recommend a very detailed and well-planned treatment. This includes:
- Pain medication - Your doctor will prescribe pain killers to help you reduce the pain that comes after surgery and help you heal faster.
- Physical Therapy - This is the most important aspect of the treatment. You will be taught exercises such as elbow bending and straightening your arm to protect your elbow from swelling and stiffness.
The surgery involves making an incision behind your elbow and replacing the damaged bone or joint with metallic components. Some complications may arise such as infection or nerve damage. Pain medication and physical therapy can help you recover faster.
Post-surgery pain is normal. Your doctor will prescribe pain medications to keep pain under control.
Recovery time depends on many factors such as health and age. Follow the instructions of your doctor.
Your surgeon will take your entire medical history and will ask you about any medications such as blood thinners that you take. The doctor will also enquire about your medical conditions which include allergies or heart conditions. This will also be followed by a physical examination to make sure that you are healthy enough to endure the elbow replacement surgery.