Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch Treatment in Koramangala, Bangalore
Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch is a complex weight-loss surgery that limits the food absorption time in the stomach. It also decreases your ability to absorb calories, vitamins, minerals and fat absorption from food.
You can avail of duodenal switch surgery in Bangalore. You can also search for duodenal switch surgery near me.
What do you need to know about Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch?
This surgery is performed by a bariatric surgeon. The surgeon makes a small incision in the abdomen. It's a two-step procedure.
During the first step, a large part (60-70%) of the stomach is removed to give your tummy the shape of a tube. It’s called sleeve gastrectomy. This is done so that a small amount of food consumption is enough for the body. During the second step, the small intestine is rearranged by connecting the end portions of the intestine to its initial portion called duodenum, the nearest part to the stomach. This is done to make sure the body absorbs less calories and fats by giving less time to partially digested food coming from the stomach to mix with hepatic and pancreatic juices that contain digestive enzymes.
Who qualifies for this surgery? Why is it done?
This surgery can be performed only on people with body mass index (BMI) greater than 50.
Not everybody can undergo Duodenal Switch. You need to fulfil certain criteria to qualify for this surgery.Duodenal switch is typically done to save heavily overweight people who are at a higher risk of life-threatening weight-related problems like:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Type 2 diabetes
- Heart or brain stroke
- Infertility issues
How do you prepare for this surgery?
- Quit smoking at least a month prior to the surgery.
- Take prescribed vitamin supplements to prevent any nutrient deficiency post surgery.
- Lose the suggested amount of weight by your doctor. Generally, you have to lose around 5 to 10% of the body weight.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 48 hours before surgery.
- If you are already on blood thinners, consult your doctor as it may cause blood clotting post surgery.
- Diabetic patients should also consult a doctor to manage medications according to surgery.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Koramangala, Bangalore.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What are the benefits of Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch?
People tend to lose a lot of weight post surgery as it restricts food consumption and lowers calories, minerals and fat absorption. It controls health issues like diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. It also reduces risk of developing gastrointestinal ulcers.
What are the risks associated with Laparoscopic Duodenal Switch?
Duodenal Switch is an abdomen-related procedure. Risks are similar to those posed by any other abdominal surgery. These include:
- Excess bleeding
- Bacterial infection
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia
- Blood clots formation
- Respiratory problems
- Leaks from the operated region of the body
Long-term risks :
- Problem in bowel movement
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting
- Formation of gallbladder stone
- Perforations and ulcers in stomach
- Deficiencies of calcium and iron
- Deficiencies of vitamins A, D, E and K and fat-soluble vitamins.
Consult your doctor in case of any such complications. He/she can suggest duodenal switch surgery in Koramangala as well.
The rate of weight loss is comparatively higher in the first three to six months after the surgery. The body might react to this drastic weight loss in an unusual manner by developing problems like body pain, fatigue, cold, dry skin, hair loss and thinning and mood swings.
One can expect to lose somewhere 70 to 80 percent of the excess weight within a couple of years post surgery, if proper guidance from a doctor has been followed and a healthy lifestyle maintained.
The other alternatives are gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy. But duodenal switch is better than both of these alternatives as it has long-term benefits.