Orthopaedic - Joint Replacement
Orthopaedic Joint Replacement
Joint replacement surgery also called arthroplasty is done for severely damaged bones. It is used only for treating critically unstable, displaced or joint fractures. These surgeries stabilize the bones.
You can avail of this surgery at the best orthopaedic hospitals in Pune. You can also search for an orthopaedic surgeon near me.
What exactly is a joint replacement?
Joint replacement involves removing damaged parts or whole joints and replacing it with a hardware to allow the painless movement in the limb. The hardware is called prosthesis, made of metal,plastic,ceramic or combination of these materials. Mostly, joint replacements are done to treat joints that get damaged because of arthritis to the knees or hips. Joint replacement is performed by skilled Orthopedic surgeons under general anesthesia.
What are the types of Joint Replacements?
Types of Joint replacement depends upon the type of joint affected.
Different types of replacement surgeries include:
- Hip Replacement: Total / Partial
- Knee Replacement: Total / Partial
- Shoulder Replacement.
- Elbow Replacement.
- Wrist Joint Replacement
- Ankle Replacement.
Who qualifies for this surgery? Why is this done?
- Person with damaged articular cartilage
- Person with Joint disability
- Person with multiple fractures of the bone
- Person with displaced bone
- Person with improperly lined joints
What are the benefits of joint replacement ?
- This surgery has an extremely high success rate.
- Decreases the pain and helps in restoring bone functioning.
- Restores mobility and keeps the bone at the correct position.
What are the risks/complications associated with joint replacement?
- Blood transfusion
- Bacterial infection due to the cut or hardware
- Allergic reaction to anesthesia
- Blood clot formation and nerve damage
- Dislocation of hardware placed
- Pain and swelling in the operated bone
- Unbearable pressure in the legs and arms
- Muscle spasms
Sometimes surgery needs to be done again when hardware gets infected.
People with problems like obesity, diabetes, liver disease and arthritis are at a higher risk of developing complications after this surgery.
Consult your doctor if you develop any of these. Consult the best orthopaedic surgeon in Pune.
When do you need to call a doctor?
- Having persistent fever post surgery
- Sores development near the operated bone
- Blue, pale, cold or swollen fingers and toes
- Shortness of breath or chest pain
- High heart rate
- Pain even after medications
- Burning, itching or redness around the hardware
- Bleeding or discharge from the incision
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Pune, Maharashtra
Call 18605002244 to book an appointment
How to do selfcare at home after surgery?
- Taking medicines on time: Make sure that you take prescribed medicines and over- the-counter pain medicines at the correct time .
- Properly clean the incision: Change the dressing with clean hands, make sure that you maintain proper hygiene in the operated area to avoid any kind of bacterial infection.
- Elevate the affected part: Your doctor may tell you to lift the affected limb for the first 48 hours above the heart level. He/she can also instruct you to apply ice to reduce swelling of the bone.
- Do not pressurise the affected limb: Do not use the affected limb for routine activities until it properly heals. Make sure that you use crutches or a wheelchair or sling, if given.
- Make sure that you go for physical therapies for faster recovery.
Although the ideal period of recovery is between 3 to 12 months, it still depends on patient age, health conditions, type and severity of the joint affected and post-surgery rehabilitation as well as post-surgery complications.
All Types of arthritis and diseases like Osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease that causes loss of the cartilage or cushion in a joint.
Depending upon type, severity and location of the fracture, this surgery can take several hours. Surgery is performed after administering anesthesia and post surgery pain is controlled using medicines.