Sport Injuries Treatment in Sadashiv Peth, Pune
Injuries that occur while participating in sports or exercising are known as sports injuries. These include strains, sprains, rotator cuff injuries, fractures, swollen muscles, dislocations, knee injuries, and others.
What are Sports Injuries?
Sports injuries are those that occur while participating in any physical activity or sports. These injuries may occur due to various reasons such as improper technique, lack of conditioning, or overtraining and may be mild to severe.
What are the Types of Sports Injuries
There are various types of sports injuries, such as –
- Strains – When a muscle or tendon gets torn or overstretched, it is called a strain. These can be mistaken for sprains, however, the two are different.
- Swollen muscles – When a sports injury occurs, the swelling also occurs as a natural reaction. A common sign of swollen muscles is weak and painful muscles.
- Fractures – Bones often break, especially during contact sports. These are called fractures.
- Rotator cuff injury – The rotator cuff is formed by four pieces of muscle. It is responsible for the movement of our shoulders in each direction. If one of the muscles of the rotator cuff gets torn, the rotator cuff becomes weak and injured.
- Sprains – When ligaments get torn or stretched, it is called a sprain.
- Knee injuries – Knee injuries can include muscle tears, tissue tears, or overstretching of the muscles In the knee.
- Achilles tendon rupture – An ACL tear is a painful injury wherein the Achilles tendon ruptures or breaks.
- Dislocations – Bones may get dislocated due to sports injuries. This means that the bone gets moved from its socket, causing pain, weakness, and swelling.
What Are the Symptoms of Sports Injuries?
Symptoms of sports injuries can be of two types – acute and chronic. These include –
- Pain – The most common symptom of sports injury includes pain. It may differ with the type of injury.
- Stiffness – Another symptom of a sports injury is stiffness. If the range of motion of the affected area is limited, it can indicate how severe the injury is.
- Weakness – Due to injury to the tendon or muscle, it may not function normally. One might not be able to lift their arm or walk around, due to weakness.
- Redness – If there’s inflammation, infection, abrasion, or allergy at the site of injury, it can cause redness.
- Swelling – Another symptom of a sports injury is swelling at the site of injury. Swelling occurs as a healing response of the body’s immune system to the injury.
- Instability – If the injury is to a joint, it may become unstable and feel like it is giving out or buckling. This happens especially during a ligament injury such as an ACL tear.
- Tingling and numbness – If there is damage or irritation to the nerves, one might experience a numbing or tingling sensation.
- Confusion – If there is an injury to the head, it can cause a concussion. This may cause symptoms such as nausea, headache, dizziness, confusion, irritability, and memory problems.
What are the Causes of Sports Injuries in Pune?
Acute sports injuries occur as a result of an accident or a fall. They may occur while playing sports, either due to not wearing proper equipment and gear or playing in unsafe conditions. Chronic injuries occur over time. These may begin as acute injuries that fail to heal properly or occur due to improper form or overuse.
When to See a Doctor in Pune?
Sports injuries are quite common, hence, there may not be a need to see a doctor for every pain or ache, especially for athletes. However, if an injury doesn’t improve even after simple treatment steps and becomes worse, you should consult a doctor.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra , Pune
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
What are the Risk Factors of Sports Injuries?
Sports injuries may happen to anyone. However, certain risk factors can make one more susceptible to them, including –
- Being overweight or obese
- Not tending to acute injuries
How are Sports Injuries Diagnosed?
To diagnose sports injuries, various steps can be taken, including –
- Physical examination – The first step is usually performing a physical exam of the affected area.
- Medical history – Your doctor would also review your complete medical history and ask you about your injury and symptoms.
- Imaging tests – Apart from this, your doctor may perform imaging tests such as X-rays, MRIs, and CT scan to confirm the diagnosis.
How can We Treat Sports Injuries?
The first line of treatment for sports injuries is the RICE method which includes rest, ice, compression, and elevation. It can be effective when followed within 24 to 36 hours after an injury. If you experience further symptoms, you should consult your doctor so that further treatment can be started. It may vary, with the type of sports injury and its location.
How Can We Prevent Sports Injuries?
Sports injuries can be prevented by the following tips –
- Warming up and stretching before and cooling down after sports or physical activity
- Using proper technique
- Using proper equipment
- Resuming activities gradually after an injury
Sports injuries are very common and if early action is taken, these can be successfully treated.
There are various treatment options for sports injuries –
- Pain medication
- Physical therapy
- Bracing, a splint, or cast
- Pain-relief injections
Common sports injuries of the elbow include tennis elbow and golfers elbow.