Best Ankle Joint Replacement Treatment & Diagnostics in Sadashiv Peth, Pune
The surgery wherein the damaged ankle joint is removed and replaced with an artificial joint called prosthesis is known as ankle joint replacement surgery. It is typically performed for relief from pain and swelling in the ankle joint.
What is Ankle Joint Replacement?
Ankle joint replacement surgery involves replacing the damaged ankle joint with an artificial joint to relieve pain and swelling.
Why is Ankle Joint Replacement Done?
Ankle joint replacement surgery may be done due to the following conditions -
- Osteoarthritis - One of the most common reasons behind ankle joint replacement is severe osteoarthritis. With growing age, the cartilage starts to wear away, causing pain and inflammation in the ankle area. Rheumatoid arthritis can also lead to requiring ankle replacement as this autoimmune condition causes bone erosion, leading to disability and deformity in the ankle joint.
- Weakness in ankle joint - If you experience severe weakness in the ankle, it might mean that the bones in your ankle joint are deteriorating in health. To regain their range of function and mobility, you might require ankle replacement surgery.
- Fractures - If you’ve had extreme ankle fractures which have failed to heal properly, it can cause a lack of mobility in your ankle joint. To restore strength and movement, ankle replacement surgery may be necessary.
- An unstable ankle joint - You may require ankle replacement surgery if you play sports actively and frequently suffer from ankle sprains. It can lead to your ankle becoming unstable, which causes more sprains and ultimately leads to the requirement of ankle replacement surgery.
How is Ankle Joint Replacement Done?
First, the patient is administered general anaesthesia or spinal anaesthesia. If a patient receives general anaesthesia, they’ll be asleep during the surgery and if they receive spinal anaesthesia, they will be awake during the surgery but they won’t be able to feel anything below their waist. After this, the surgeon will make an incision on the front side of your ankle. With this, the ankle joint gets exposed. Then, to remove the damaged cartilage and bone, the surgeon will gently push aside the blood vessels, tendons, and nerves. The damaged part of the tibia and the talus will be removed.
After this, the metal parts of the prosthesis will be attached to the bony areas from where the damaged parts were removed. The surgeon may use special bone cement or glue to hold the new parts together. Also, a plastic piece will be inserted between the metal parts and the ankle is finally stabilized using screws. Then, the tendons will be put back into place and the incision will be closed with stitches.
What Happens After Ankle Joint Replacement Procedure?
After ankle replacement surgery, you will have to stay in the hospital for a few days before getting discharged. Your doctor will prescribe pain medication as you will experience pain after the surgery. You will also be required to wear a splint and use crutches for a few weeks. You should avoid putting weight on your foot for a few months after the surgery. You will also require physical therapy after the surgery for a few months, to regain the strength and range of mobility of your ankle.
What are the Complications Associated with Ankle Joint Replacement Procedure?
As with any surgery, there are some complications associated with ankle joint replacement surgery, including -
- Unstable ankle
- Weakness or stiffness of the ankle
- Nerve or blood vessel damage during surgery
- Ankle dislocation
- Artificial joints becoming loose over time
- Fracture during surgery
- Skin not healing on its own after surgery
- Allergic reaction to the prosthesis
- Blood clots
When to See a Doctor Regarding Ankle Joint Replacement Surgery at Apollo Spectra, Pune?
You should consider consulting a doctor regarding ankle joint replacement surgery if you experience severe pain that interferes with your daily activities and no other treatments such as over-the-counter medication, physical therapy, or bracing have helped in relieving pain and swelling.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra, Pune
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment.
In most cases, ankle replacement surgeries in Pune are successful and patients are able to resume their daily activities with much more range of function and mobility of the ankle, without any pain. The artificial joint lasts for 10 or more years in 90% of the cases.
To prepare for your surgery, you will be asked to stop taking certain medications such as NSAIDs and blood thinners, as these could increase the risk of bleeding. You should consult your doctor regarding the medications you can continue taking. You should avoid smoking as it can slow down the healing process and increase complications after surgery. If you have the flu, herpes, cold, or any other illness before your surgery, you should let your doctor know. You can also consult a physical therapist to learn some exercises that you can do before your surgery. They would also teach you how to use crutches correctly, should you need them after surgery. On the day of your surgery, you will be asked to avoid eating or drinking anything at least 6 to 12 hours before the surgery. You can take the medication as instructed by your doctor with a small sip of water.
Ankle joint replacement surgery takes two to three hours.
If you experience any of the following conditions after surgery, you should call your doctor immediately -
- Fever above 101 degrees Fahrenheit
- Foul-smelling, greenish or yellowish discharge from the incision site
- Tingling sensation, swelling, or numbness in toes that doesn’t go away by elevating foot above heart-level, for an hour