Urology is a division of medicine that treats conditions related to the male and female urinary tracts. This entire field of medicine focuses on the health of the urinary system. Urine is one of the most important tools for diagnosing different diseases.
Urologists also treat any medical condition related to the male reproductive tract, including the penis, prostate gland, and testicles. Your urinary system involves the kidneys, bladders, urethra and ureters.
To know more, you can consult a urology doctor near you. Or visit a urology hospital in Pune.
What are the different types of problems that Urologists treat?
- Erectile Dysfunction: ED is a condition in which men fail to get or maintain an erection long enough to masturbate or engage in sexual intercourse. ED can happen due to numerous reasons that include stress, anxiety, a decline in testosterone levels.
Treatment: Your physician will evaluate your condition and prescribe you medications, surgery, psychological therapy or hormones to increase testosterone levels.
- Enlarged Prostate gland: Older men often suffer from Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or BPH. This condition results in the enlargement of the prostate gland that results in a decrease in urine flow.
Treatment: This condition can be treated with medications and consistent monitoring. Some other treatment options include transurethral resection of the prostate or a Urolift, a procedure that lifts the prostate tissue to unblock the urethra.
- Prostate Cancer: The prostate gland is a walnut-sized gland located between the bladder and penis. It produces a fluid that protects the semen. Prostate cancer is one of the most common cancers that affect the male reproductive system.
Treatment: The treatment instils radiotherapy, chemotherapy or resection of the gland depending on the severity of cancer.
- Male Infertility: Male Infertility is also considered a urological problem. If you cannot conceive due to a defect in your urinary system, then a urologist can help you manage your condition.
Treatment: Male infertility can be a result of low sperm quality, quantity or motility. Your urologist will do the required tests and decide the right treatment for you based on the results.
- Incontinence after pregnancy: It is common for women to experience involuntary urine leakage after laughing, sneezing, or coughing, especially after pregnancy. This is more rampant in women in their 30s.
Treatment: Your doctor will start with non-invasive options like reduction of body weight, water and caffeine intake. They might also suggest some exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor.
- Overactive bladder: This condition involves the urge to pee at all hours. It can be caused due to various reasons such as old age, increased caffeine or water intake, drinking habits etc.
Treatment: This involves lifestyle modifications and taking medications like diuretics which control your urinary output.
- Urinary Tract Infections: One of the most prevalent female urological conditions is UTI. This causes painful, cloudy, foul-smelling urine. It is caused due to a bacterial infection of the urinary tract.
Treatment: This involves treatment with medications like antibiotics. Your doctor will also encourage you to drink more water and refrain from controlling your urine for long hours.
What are the symptoms of urology disorders?
- Blood in your urine
- Loss of bladder control
- Inability to fully empty your bladder
- Pain in your lower back or groin area
- Enlarged prostate
- Infrequent urination
- Pain during urination
- Change in the colour or smell of your urine
When do you need to see a doctor?
If you think you are experiencing any of the symptoms mentioned above, you should consult a urologist near you. Your doctor will run some diagnostic tests and decide the best course of treatment.
To consult a urology specialist in Pune:
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Pune, Maharashtra.
Call 18605002244 to book an appointment.
Urology is a specialization that focuses on treating disorders related to the urinary system. Urologists also treat male infertility. Your excretory system plays an essential role in maintaining the smooth functioning of your body.
Consulting a urologist at the right time will ensure timely treatment and prevent the problem from progressing.
If your symptoms are related to urination or your urinary tract, kindly consult a urologist.
Infrequent urination can be an indication of an enlarged prostate that requires medical attention.
Yes, urologists also treat sexually transmitted diseases that might be causing you pain, itching or a burning sensation.
DR. SURAJ SUSHEEL LUNAVAT
MBBS, MS, DNB...
|Experience||:||12 Yeras Experience|
|Timings||:||Mon - Sat: 4 PM - 5 ...|
Our Patient Speaks
My name is Gopinath and I came to Apollo spectra hospital for my treatment. I found the overall service at Apollo great and I am thoroughly satisfied....
We came to Apollo Spectra Hospital for my father's cystoscope procedure under Dr Hiralal Choudhary, which went very well. The procedure was successful because of the skills and efficiency of Dr Choudhary and his entire team. Right from the janitor, nurses to the administration/Tpa team, all are efficient and know their duties well. Sorry, we won't be able to take all the names, but we thank and ap...