Hysterectomy Surgery in Sadashiv Peth, Pune
A hysterectomy is a surgery done to remove the woman's uterus. There are various reasons why this operation is done.
What are the reasons for hysterectomy?
- If you are suffering from Uterine fibroids, it can cause severe pain and bleeding.
- When the uterus slides down from its actual position and comes into the vaginal canal i.e. Uterine prolapse.
- If you are suffering from Uterine cancer.
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Severe pain in the pelvic area
- There is a thickness of the uterus taking place which is known as adenomyosis.
What are the types of hysterectomy?
It is very important that one should know which part of the uterus is affected so that the doctor does proper surgery for removal of the uterus. The surgeon may also choose whether to remove all parts or only some parts depending on your problems.
There are three types of hysterectomy:
- A supracervical hysterectomy: It is also known as subtotal hysterectomy. This surgery is done to remove only the upper area of the uterus. The cervix of the uterus lies in the exact place.
- A radical hysterectomy: If a woman is suffering from uterus cancer, this surgery is performed. The uterus is removed completely and also the lining of the tissue with the cervix is also taken off.
- A total hysterectomy: This surgery as the name suggests removes all parts of the uterus as well as cervix.
What are the surgical techniques for hysterectomy?
If a woman is suffering from any of the reasons for the process of hysterectomy to be done, it is advisable to consult a doctor for surgery.
The doctors will use various methods for hysterectomy and it will also depend on :
- Experience of the doctor
- Reason of surgery
- The health of the patient
For instance, there are two kinds of surgery that can be performed by a doctor for hysterectomy:
- Open surgery treatment: this is the most performed surgery done by doctors. It is a surgery done on the abdomen. It is also responsible for 54% of the disease. Around 5 to 7 inches of the incision will be made by the doctor. The place of incision can either be up-down or side-side or around the stomach. After the incision, the doctor takes out the uterus. A person has to spend around 2-3 days in the hospital, after that she will be released.
- MIP hysterectomy:There are various approaches that can be used for MIP hysterectomy:
- Vaginal hysterectomy: in this kind of hysterectomy the doctor makes a cut on the vagina and the uterus is removed. No scar is left after stretching the cut.
- Laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy: the doctors use a tool of laparoscopy in the stomach to help in removing the uterus, by making a cut in the vagina
- Laparoscopic hysterectomy: the surgery is finished with the tool of laparoscopy, it is a tube which is a camera with light and tools inserted with numerous small cuts that are made in the stomach and one tiny cut is made in the stomach and one tiny cut is made in the belly button. The doctor views the operation on the video screen and performs a hysterectomy.
- Robot-assisted laparoscopic treatments: it is also laparoscopic hysterectomy, but the difference is that the doctor controls the rigid robotic system or tools used for surgery from outside the body. The use of advanced technology permits the doctor to use natural wrist movements and see the operation on a 3-D screen.
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, pune
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
What are the risks of hysterectomy?
Maximum people who get a hysterectomy done, do not have major risks whereas some complications can come from the surgery. The risks are the following:
- There can be non-continuous urine flowing.
- There can be some part of the vagina coming out of the body known as vaginal prolapsing.
- Severe pain
- Vaginal fistula formation (it is a part of the vagina connection that forms with the rectum or bladder)
- Infection of wounds
A hysterectomy is a surgery done for women in order to remove the pain or the problems like heavy bleeding. Though it contains some risks, with proper precautions one can cure the surgery easily with time and the main problem of the vagina can also be cured.
Ovaries and fallopian tubes can be removed if they are abnormal. There are the following procedures:
- Salpingo-oophorectomy: both ovaries are removed from the body
- Oophorectomy: Only when the ovaries are removed from the body.
- Salpingectomy: only when fallopian tubes are removed
Fewer complications are caused by vaginal hysterectomy as compared to abdominal or laparoscopic hysterectomy. It will take less time to heal as compared to abdominal surgery.
No, some women have more risk of complications as compared to others. For example, the one who has a medical condition going on will be at higher risk of complications.