Erectile dysfunction Treatment & Diagnostics in Sadashiv Peth, Pune
Erectile dysfunction is a condition that restrains a person from wanting, feeling, or enjoying any sort of sexual activity. An individual or a person faces difficulty during any stage of the sexual response cycle. The sexual response cycle may include the phases of excitement, orgasm, plateau, and resolution. Here, desire and arousal are a part of the excitement. It is very common, around 43% of women and 31% of men report an experience of some degree of sexual dysfunction. Although many people hesitate about talking about sexual dysfunction, the concern should be shared as treatments for the same are available. Sexual dysfunction can happen at any age but the chances increase with age. Both men and women can experience sexual dysfunction. Amongst men, sexual dysfunction can be experienced in the form of Erectile dysfunction (ED) and Ejaculation disorders, while in women sexual dysfunction may be Pain and discomfort experienced during sexual activity, or difficulty having an orgasm. There are broadly four types of sexual dysfunctions in men and women:
- Desire disorders
- Arousal disorders
- Orgasm disorders
- Pain disorders
The cause of sexual dysfunction is not any underlying medical condition. The most common cause of sexual dysfunction can be stress. Other causes that may lead men and women to experience sexual dysfunction can be listed as follows:
- Hormonal imbalance
- Drug intake
- Consumption of alcohol
- Use of tobacco
- Psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, the feeling of guilt, body image issues, sexual trauma, or the effects of past traumatic experience
- Medical conditions such as heart and vascular diseases, neurological disorder, diabetes, medical conditions related to kidney and liver, or side effects of some anti-depressant pills
- Cancer or Urological infections
- High blood pressure
- High level of cholesterol
Sexual dysfunction can carry symptoms. These symptoms may vary in men and women.
Symptoms found in women:
- Inability to reach the phase of orgasm
- Low sexual interest and willingness
- Sexual arousal disorder, wherein the desire of sexual interest may be present but there may be difficult through the stage of arousal
- Sexual pain disorder, wherein the sexual activity may be accompanied by pain and discomfort.
- Inadequate vaginal lubrication
Symptoms found in men:
- Early or premature, uncontrolled ejaculation
- Inability to achieve an erection for sexual intercourse
- Retarded ejaculation, wherein the man experiences delayed or no ejaculation
The treatment for sexual dysfunction may vary according to the causes.
- edical aids such as vacuum devices and penile implants may be recommended for men. Vacuum devices may be recommended for women as well but they stand at an expensive side. Devices like Dilators and Vibrators may also be helpful for women.
- Sex therapy may be recommended wherein the sex therapist also acts as a good counselor and helps individuals or couples to overcome the sexual dysfunction faced by them.
- Techniques such as self-stimulation may be recommended to deal with problems of arousal or orgasm.
- pen dialogue exercises about the needs between couples may help them overcome fear, anxiety, or any barriers.
- Psychotherapy may help to address issues related to past trauma, anxiety, fear, or guilt.
- There are Medications which are recommended for men to help improve sexual function by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- There are Two medications approved by the FDA to treat low desire amongst premenopausal women
Request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Pune
Call 1860-500-2244 to book an appointment
What measures can you take to avoid sexual dysfunction?
Certain measures can be taken at home to help the sexual dysfunction. These may include:
- regular walks and exercises
- maintain a stabilized weight
- follow a clean diet, including fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- improved sleep schedule
- quit smoking
- limit alcohol
The treatment of sexual dysfunction depends on the underlying cause. It can be treated through sex therapy, certain measures at home, open communication, and even with the help of certain medications.
Sexual dysfunction can be experienced at any age and is common among both men and women. It is a temporary condition if one seeks the help of a sex therapist or a psychotherapist to overcome the condition.