Treatment for Thrombosis in Tardeo, Mumbai
A blockage in an artery or a vein is called an occlusion or stroke. Deep vein occlusion is basically blockage in the deep veins of your body.
What do you need to know about deep vein occlusions?
When the flow of blood in the veins gets affected usually due to the formation of blood clots, deep vein occlusions can occur. This can happen anywhere in the body, but mostly it affects the legs.
To seek treatment, you can search online for a vascular surgery hospital near me or a vascular surgery doctor near me.
What are the symptoms for deep vein occlusions?
- Pain in the affected area
- Difficulty in movement
- Shortness of breath
- Increased heart rate
- Chest pain
- Swelling, pain and soreness in the affected leg, foot and ankle
- Discoloration, redness or bluishness in the affected area of the leg
- Warm feeling in the skin of affected legs
When do you need to see a doctor?
Immediately seek medical attention, if you experience any of the symptoms mentioned.
You can request an appointment at Apollo Spectra Hospitals, Tardeo, Mumbai.
Call 1860 500 2244 to book an appointment.
What causes deep vein occlusions ?
- One of the major causes is deep vein thrombosis (DVT). DVT is a serious medical condition that occurs when blood clots form in the deep veins of the body.
- Damage or injury to the walls of blood vessels can narrow or block the blood flow
- Damage of blood vessels during surgery
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Inherited blood disorders
- Heart diseases
What are the complications from deep vein occlusions?
- Pulmonary embolism (PE): it is the most common complication of DVT. PE is a life-threatening condition caused due to blockage of blood flow in the lungs. PE demands timely and immediate medical attention.
- Shortness of breath, blood in cough, fatigue and nausea
- Postphlebitic syndrome: it occurs when the vein is damaged due to blood clot formation leading to reduction in blood flow and discoloration, pain and swelling in the affected area.
Deep vein occlusion is not a disease but a condition caused by underlying diseases. Formation of blot clots is the main reason for vein occlusion. Regular exercising , avoiding smoking and a healthy diet can prevent this condition.
Imaging techniques like ultrasounds and MRIs are be used. Angiography is also done to map the blockages and narrowing in the arteries.
- Regular exercising
- Maintaining a healthy weight
- Eating healthy diet with low fat content
- Avoiding smoking
- Maintaining blood sugar levels
- Blood thinners: They are anticoagulants
- Clot busters are also called thrombolytics, administered when serious conditions like pulmonary embolism occurs
- Filters are used when medicines do not work. A filter is inserted in the vena cava to prevent clots.
- In cases where medicines fail, doctors perform medical procedures like inferior vena cava (IVC) filter and venous thrombectomy.